need help sexing royol palm turkies

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by skylar, Sep 25, 2011.

1. skylar

skylar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    beallsville
    i have three royol palms i got them in auguset the lady said they if female would lay in feb to march next year they where three months old when i got them now one just noticed today had breast feathers pft out and fan spread but it was low to the ground they look vary simalir please help

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The males will have quite a bit of black on the breast while the hens stay almost white. The males legs will be bigger.
    [​IMG]

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Birdaholics pictures show some other traits that he did not mention. The snood on the males will start to elongate at about 10 to 12 weeks. They can control it, so it wont always be long, but if it ever hangs over the beak, its a tom. Also look at the toms caruncles (the bumps on the neck). They will be much larger in the males. Also, the toms will be much larger than the hens. The growth differences really start to show after about 12 weeks. So you can see that by about 3 months of age, the sexes really will be apparent almost all the time. But I have a hard time myself with some of the younger birds.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by