Need help sexing silkie chicks :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by noplacebo, May 19, 2009.

1. noplacebo

noplacebo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Waratah, Newcastle
    Hey all,
    I have two young silkie chicks, about 9 weeks old I believe. They are some kind of partridge silkie cross and weigh around 200g each at the moment.

I believe at least one of them will be male, but i've never dealt with silkies before, or any chicks with anything but a single comb. Any help, opinions, advice etc would be greatly appreciated!

This is moe:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Scruffy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

both named by the young kids from our street [​IMG]

More pics to come.. I am really interested in opinions on the sex of scruffy. It is the less dominant of the pair, smaller comb, but only two to compare so i'm lost!

Thanks.
    Chris.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I may be wrong, but from what I'm reading on this forum is that Silkies are hard to sex and you really don't know for sure until they are close to 6 months old.
    Hopefully someone else will respond.

3. noplacebo

May 19, 2009
    Waratah, Newcastle
    I tried vent sexing them from the pics on this site, but the vent is so dark in colour i'm still not sure. They actually appear to both be female, but I'm not willing to go on that alone.

4. noplacebo

May 19, 2009
    Waratah, Newcastle
    Scruffy standing up. Looking for mo..

[​IMG]

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Way too soon to tell. With mine, I couldn't usually tell until about 4-6 months.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They are both partridge cockerels. Hatchery cockerels are often easy to identify early on as in most cases, their combs develop much more rapidly than the pullets. Better quality birds can be far more difficult to sex at such an early age.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree--both cockerels--the feather patterns are typical of partridge males.

8. noplacebo

May 19, 2009
    Waratah, Newcastle
    wow, thanks for your replies. guess that confirms it.

any advice on these guys? our neighbours have a flock of large silkie x hens.. maybe they could take an extra boy.. i'm not sure i really want their genetics in the rest of my flock!

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Wish you lived close to ky, I am looking for a young partidge roo... [​IMG] noone seems to have any for sale at this moment. [​IMG]

10. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I'm also leaning towards cockeral. Of course, I have a 7 week old who sprouted wattles over night that I was sure was a pullet. They have the same coloring pattern as him. Maybe you'll get lucky and know for sure soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by