Need help sexing some cuckoo marans (3 months old)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by xyresicchick, Jun 24, 2011.

1. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I am not sure of the sex of some of my 3-4 month old cuckoo Marans Bantams.
    I have 4 cuckoos, 2 black, and 1 black copper. I know for sure one cuckoo is a roo. He crows and looks like a roo. nice hackles and saddle feathers. the others I am not sure on. They are dark like pullets, and have no visible hackles or saddle feathers?? they are 1 month younger than the sure roo. You can tell which one is the sure roo in the photos (he's the tall guy in the first photo!)

Anyways, I was thinking I have 2 cuckoo roos (one big one and the one little one), 2 cuckoo pullets, and pretty sure all 3 black/copper are pullets. Not 100% sure on the cuckoos though so I really would like some input.

Photo #10 is the closest, colorwise to actual life for the "pullets" in question. photo 4 is pretty accurate too. My flash is just super super bright on my camera!

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

12. [​IMG]

13. [​IMG]

Please judge my birds!!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    In barred or cuckoo chickens the lighter colored ones are usually roosters. Those in the pictures look like roosters to me.

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    The lighter cuckoo ones in pics one and 2 are obviously male - and with the expected male color. I tell you, they all also appear male, even though they are darker.

All of the blacks are female. The combs on the cuckoos would be about the size of the blacks, indicating pullets - if they are the same age.

4. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I agree, they all look rooish. The two lighter ones are definately roos.

5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Probably too late for an opinion, but you can see the pointy saddle feathers and longer tail feather on at least one of the dark cuckoos. Hard to tell which are which in the photos, if the one with the saddle feathers is the same bird or two different ones. At least one of the dark ones is a roo (pics 9 and 10). I think they both are roos -you can see how the tails are coming in and the saddle feathers droop over.

Sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by