need help sexing this peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by pittmanbirds, Oct 29, 2016.

1. pittmanbirds

pittmanbirds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    was hatched this July spring 2016, person I bought off of has Indian blues he tries to breed as true as possible so none of his breeding males have any white flight feathers I'm pretty sure it is a cameo (if I'm wrong please tell me, just trying to figure out male or female thank you
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    My guess is a Cameo peahen. She should have green neck feathers if she's an Indian Blue peahen. KSKingBee will be able to confirm if she's a Cameo peahen or a different peahen.

3. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
  4. pittmanbirds

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I just looked but I'm new to peafowl so I'm still trying to learn all the kinds and stuff like that, so it's hard for me to compare to pictures

5. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I change my answer it's a Purple. I used the zoom on my phone and I see Purple peahen neck feathers coming in.

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Purple peahen. She will look like this in a couple of years.

[​IMG]

7. pittmanbirds

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    How do u know purple, I'm trying to learn more

8. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    The blueish purple neck feathers up near the head indicate Purples. It's mainly just practice. Same with identifying differences between Spaldings and Green peafowl. You just have learn what you're looking for by looking at photos. Peafowl Image Database can help learn what some look like. As for identifying splits, that's a lot harder depending on what the bird is split to. The easiest way to learn what the parents are is breed them and then look at the peachicks.

9. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

When you look at the back of her neck you will see a purple sheen. In a few weeks she will show more. Here is a young cock.

[​IMG]

10. pittmanbirds

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    so would this one be a purple as well? I was under the understanding it was a cameo... she is 3 years old and if it is a purple would it be called a purple cameo??? or just purple?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by