1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help sexing unknown breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by supertakigirl, Jun 7, 2016.

1. supertakigirl

supertakigirl New Egg

May 25, 2016
    My daughter's Kindergarten class hatched 3 chicks this spring which we took home. I have no idea what breeda they are (could even be mutts). The two brown colored birds came from blue eggs, the black one came from a brown egg. All are 7 weeks old. I was hoping the black feathered one was a black sex link (and therefore female) but based on comb and feathers I'm not so sure. Unfortunately we can't keep any Roos where I live.
    [​IMG]

Fairly certain this one is a roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm worried about comb and waddle development as well as the curling tail feathers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hoping this one is a hen
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts on sex and/or breed would be appreciated!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    The first two are roos

3. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Top is a boy, and if he came out of a blue egg he is a mix called an Easter Egger. The black one is a boy but has the colors of a girl black sexlink, so I'm not sure on him. And the bottom is a girl, also a mix called an Easter Egger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by