Need help. Should I be switching to Layer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, about two months ago I bought a 50lb bag of grower feed for my girls (3 EE pullets). They are now 17 weeks and I still have roughly 35-40 lbs left. Is it ok to suplement with oyster shell and just finish off the grower or do I need to switch? And if I switch, what should I do with their grower feed? I hate waste...

*grammer edit

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I wouldn't switch until you're out of grower. If they begin laying, add the calcium. If not - Continue on. Layer feed is only needed when they're actually laying. Otherwise they still need that extra protein.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with the advice. Just offer oyster shell on the side and they will do fine. I will point out that both Grower and Layer should have 16% protein. The major difference in Grower and Layer is calcium, not percent protein.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Awesome! Thank you!

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yup, I've been feeding grower plus oyster shell to my laying hens for over a month now because I still have pullets that aren't laying. I won't switch until all are laying and, if I have grower left, I'll mix the two until the grower is gone.

6. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    My chicks get Start and Grow until they are 8wks old. I then switch them over to Flock Raiser for the rest of their life. When the layers start producing I provide oyster shell in a separate container.

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I just use up whatever I have and then go on to the proper feed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I have a flock that three are three weeks older than the rest. I switched to layer at twenty-three weeks because I new my Dom's were about to start laying, and I was also running out of the start and grow. They have taken to it fine and I don't provide the oyster shell. My girls free-range all day long though. They seem fine so hopefully not doing it wrong here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by