1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEED HELP!!! SICK CHICK!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nan5634, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nan5634

Nan5634 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    We have a whole bunch of chicks that we got from various places. Including 6 meat chickens. One got it's feathers later than the others and it's back was black where the feathers didn't grow. Now that he's a little older his wing feathers are curling up. Since we are going to eat it I would like to know if there is something wrong with it. Thanks![​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Black where there was no feathers? Sounds like it's being picked on. Pics and more info may help. Include how they are kept, ages, food, bedding and so on.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    a pic would be most helpful

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Does it have black skin?? If so, then you could have a sizzle. They are silkies, which have black skin with a frizzled gene, which makes their feathers curl upwards.

5. Nan5634

Apr 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I would post pics but I don't know how.(If someone would tell me I would gladly post pics of this chicken.) I think maybe you are right steffpeck. His back and wings were black and now his feathers go into a curl where the black was. Maybe he has a Silky gene in him? Please tell me how to post pics so I can post a pic of him. Thanks!

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    you need to have the photos uploaded to an online phothosting site (like photobucket > freee and real easy just go to photobucket.com and sign on for free account) once you have uploaded onto that site then choose the very last URL underneath the photo you wish to post and copy and paste that here.
    If you have a different host than photo bucket then post the URL and highlight (right click) and then choose the IMG button in your post
    (there is also a FAQ on how to post images here)

7. Nan5634

Apr 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks I will post a pic soon. Keep an eye out! I'll try and catch him tomorrow when I let them out. Expect the photos tomorrow at 6:00 eastern time. Thanks![​IMG]

8. Nan5634

Apr 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    6:00 pm that is. Sorry![​IMG]

9. Nan5634

Apr 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry I couldn't put them up yesterday! It was a very hectic day. I'll TRY and put the pics on today.

10. Nan5634

Apr 21, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Here are the pics! Tell me what you think.[​IMG] Sorry this pic is a little blurry [​IMG] This is the chicken.[​IMG][​IMG]Different chicken same age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by