Need Help- Sick cockerel-Life threatening?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mustangrooster, Feb 13, 2017.

1. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Guys,

So a bit back i started seeing some bloody poops. I thought it was just the intestinal lining shedding. No one looked sick apart from this guy who just started lying around and sleeping a bit more.

I stopped seeing the bloody poops, but this guy kept sleeping/being lethargic during the day more and more often.

This morning when all the birds were up at and it this guy was still sleeping. But I was far too busy to think much of it.

Now he was found by the water with his head down.
    He is shaking, cant walk, and has some kind of substance dripping from his mouth AND his comb has folded over and has gone a dark purple.

I picked him up and rushed him to the isolation cage with a towel over it (Which is in the house)

I don’t know what to do, hes my favourite. I don’t want him to die.

Im thinking Cocci? Help? Please?

-Mustang

2. mustangrooster

Im heartbroken. Hes dead [​IMG]My Turkey had a similar thing and died, i still want to know what it was, and will it spread?

ETA: Humans cant get this right? I need to make sure

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. mustangrooster

Anyone?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I'm Sorry you lost him. if his comb turn purple there's not much you could have done to save him. I agree I would send the body out to a state lab and have him tested but I would say he had coccidiosis. Corid is the most common treatment for coccidiosis and coccidiosis is fairly common. Anything can get coccidiosis but if you wash your hands when you're done with your birds then you should never have a problem. :hugs

6. mustangrooster

Thanks for the advice and kind words [​IMG]

I might think about sending his body out, but hes already buried..

However im freaking out on level 10 now. I noticed two lethargic like birds today. Acting the same way Charms (the cockerel) did. FREAKING OUT! This could wipe out my whole flock! I dont know how soon i can get Corid, so at the feed store its just called 'Corid'? Can you get it from the vets?

Is there a homemade version of Corid??

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Corid can usually be found at your local feed store. Look in the cattle section of your store if you go to Tractor Supply. I've linked you to amazon pages so you can see what packaging looks like. You will want to get this ASAP since you have other birds acting the same way.

It's possible there can be something else going on besides Cocci, but Corid is considered mild and safe to use.

Here is the dosage so you don't have to try to find that:
    Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After you finish the 5-7 days of treatment, offer some poultry vitamin and probiotics/yogurt for a couple of days.

https://www.amazon.com/MERIAL-150197-Solution-Calves-Yellow/dp/B00M1UPA6G
    https://www.amazon.com/Merial-499019-CORID-20-SOLUBLE-POWDER-10oz/dp/B003BCG8W8

Let us know how they are doing.

8. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    if they don't have the brand name Corid look for amprolium

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by