Need Help!!! Sick quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by krstms, Mar 25, 2011.

1. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    I hatched just two quail about a week ago I think. They both seemed really healthy and were running around like crazy. One is still fine but the other one has seemed to lose the use of his legs. We noticed yesterday that he hopped on one foot and the other was basically paralyzed. No movement at all. When I left for work this morning his one good leg was fine. This evening he cannot use either leg and is scooting using his wings and seems a little less active. They are on gamebird nonmedicated crumbles. Are under a light in a 2x3 tote and have not had any pecking/fighting that I have seen. They have fresh water at all times and food at all times. I have never had quail before and this one has me completely stumped. I have gave him a drop of polyvisol vitamins. Couldnt really think of anything else to do. It didnt help at all. HIs legs don't seem injured at all, he just won't move them. Please help me. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    Please someone answer me. I am very worried. After looking a little better he seems emaciated and like his legs atrophied. Could it be he wasnt eating? I had seen him peck but am unsure if he was actually getting any. I am hand feeding & watering him now and one leg will move a little now. Please someone more experienced give me some advice.

3. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I can't tell you anything, being a newbie to quail, but you may need to put him down if he's suffering. [​IMG] Hope somebody's got some better advice. Good luck.

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Are his legs spread out or normal? Could it have gotten injured? Is it broken?

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:the feed sounds right but i have read on here that sometimes you can get issues if your feed has something wrong with it.....can you switch to a fresh bag of feed maybe , see if that helps?
    hope this helps you ...[​IMG]

6. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    His legs are in normal position. They feel like the muscles just shriveled up or something. He seems ok except he wont walk on his legs anymore. I dont think they couldve got broken and they dont feel like theyve been damaged. thanks for trying to help!!!!

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Kristi..... try going and getting him some new feed. it could be old or something . can't hurt to try that.
    so sorry for your troubles.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Make Sure Your Feed Contains "ruminant Bone Meal" It Is A Necessary Ingredient For Gamebird Babies And Adults... Without It They Suffer Leg Maladies. Which Brand Of Feed Are You Using?

9. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    Manna Pro- I'm not seeing that ingredient. Maybe I should try to order some online. This is the only brand our feedstore carries. [​IMG] He is doing better since I am hand feeding him. I don't think he was eating. He has regained the use of one leg and is hopping around on it now. He can move the other one too but doesnt walk on it yet. He is acting like he has more energy and is singing/tweeting more like he did in the beginning. I'm hoping he just wasnt eating right and will do better now. He will eat on his own if I mix a little of the feed with water so it softens it for him. Hoping this helps. The other quail is just fine. He eats/drinks and acts perfectly healthy. Thanks everyone for the advice.

10. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    Happy to report the little guy is doing much better. Since I started hand feeding him, both of his legs are back to working and he is walking again. He is a little wobbly but gets around ok. He has more energy and is now eating and drinking entirely on his own. I guess he had just quit eating for some reason and was starving himself. I am so happy that this was not a disease!!!!! Thanks everyone for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by