NEED HELP Sick Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by truillusions, Oct 13, 2013.

1. truillusions

truillusions New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    I have a he. Broad Breasted bronze turkey, she is 6 months old, last few days she has become inactive and head hanging low, very slow to eat and drink, does not want to move around a whole lot, I notice when she was drinking the other day she had mucus in her mouth, also when I pick her up I can hear gurgling sound inside, she does drink a lot like she is dehydrated, I would like to get medicine from Tractor Supply but do not know what to get, please help

2. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    Duramycin-10 is an antibiotic I use when they get colds. Also I would suggest to get some VetRx and electrolytes.

3. truillusions

truillusions New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    Thanks a bunch

4. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    We have been very lucky with our turkeys but we have had a few chickens get the raspy cold symptoms. We ordered Oxine AH on line and put it in a cool mist vaporizer (3 teas per 2 cups of water). Then put the bird in a kennel and cover it with a blanket so that they have to breathe the mist. Has worked every time. One to three treatments and the congestion is gone.

5. truillusions

truillusions New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    G ave turkey electrolytes and vetrx yrsterday afternoon,unfortunatly I woke up this morning and she was dead,trying to figure out what happend,symptons shown gor 3or four days and yesterday her poop was yellow bright foamy looking, I also havr a Peking duck that was very close with the turkey inseperable they were,anything I should do to the duck so she wont get sick too, any thoughts?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Most likely blackhead. Sorry for your loss.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804570/coping-with-blackhead

-Kathy

7. truillusions

truillusions New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    Are these theh symptions for blackhead,? and is it.contagious to human?
    s

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes. And no, not contagious to humans, but you shouldn't eat the the dead turkey. Read the link in my post above.

-Kathy

9. truillusions

truillusions New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    thanks for info,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by