Need Help, Silkie Chick Just Hatched and Is Bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I have a silkie chick that hatch on it's own this morning and is bleeding from the vent? Watery blood. What do I do if anything? The shell had bloody edges and could still see like blood vessels lining the eggshell.

2. chickmagnetZ

chickmagnetZ New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    congrats on the chick and sorry about the blood, but if you could post pics that would help

3. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I really can't, I have Marek's here and need to keep closed incubator until all have hatched.

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Update: The bleeding has slowed down and seems to be stopping now. I can't see that any of the other eggs have pipped yet. Is it safe for me to open this incubator and take this poor little mite out? I have blood stop powder here, will this work?

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If she's still bleeding, I would call that important, scrub up and open the bator and treat her, but leave her there.

6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I did, I couldn't stand it anymore. The bleeding did stop and she's been yelling at the other eggs to hurry up all day and night. 2 more have pipped a little and I can hear another show egg peeping back. I think I had better get building another coop today. Maybe if these, however many are hatched, are in a seperate coop, they'll have a chance. I'll put it away from everything and up wind, build it like a rabbit hutch with a raised run. I was told by a hatchery owner that if you can get them to survive a year they will build up an immunity to Marek's or whatever. I hope he's right.

thanks so much for the replies and info..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by