1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help - something I haven't seen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kennsm, Feb 13, 2016.

1. kennsm

kennsm New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    Please any advice would be helpful. I have a year old Delaware Hen, our family likes her very much. She seemed out of sorts today, and my wife noticed the other chickens pecking at her vent area. When she checked, she was shocked to see what looks like an open wound at the vent.
    She sends otherwise healthy, eating and drinking normally.

Please any advice or suggestions are welcome. Attached is a pic of the area...Not pretty.

[​IMG]

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Wash her bottom so you can see what you are dealing wish. If the roosts are too close, where a roosting bird can peck at the vent area, might want to move them. That looks pretty bad, you might have to cull her ([​IMG]). If your birds are bored, they will do this as well. If you have any more questions, ask. I have dealt with this a lot in my chicken years. It is very sad when they do this. Good Luck..[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  4. kennsm

kennsm New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    Thank you for the advice

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011