need help starting with ducks

jdhd003

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
western mass
I am moving soon and would like to add ducks to my little mini farm. I will have a pond right next to the house so I need help to figure out a few things. I would like to let the ducks free range on land and in the pond, but not fly away, so are there breeds of ducks that do not fly? I would plan on training them to come back for food, but are they like chicken, will they come back at night to eat, can I train them to lay eggs in the duck house? I basically would like to have them here for eggs and because I like ducks, but don't want to have to contain them as much as my chickens, so I am looking for good breeds as well as duck housing ideas.

I am moving soon and would like to add ducks to my little mini farm. I will have a pond right next to the house so I need help to figure out a few things. I would like to let the ducks free range on land and in the pond, but not fly away, so are there breeds of ducks that do not fly? I would plan on training them to come back for food, but are they like chicken, will they come back at night to eat, can I train them to lay eggs in the duck house? I basically would like to have them here for eggs and because I like ducks, but don't want to have to contain them as much as my chickens, so I am looking for good breeds as well as duck housing ideas.

Any of the larger breeds (except Muscovy) won't fly because they're too heavy. Pekins, Rouen, Swedish and Cayuga are all pretty good non-flying breeds. If you like the slightly smaller breeds like Khaki Campbell or Welsh Harlequin, you can clip the flight feathers on one wing to keep them from flying away if they show any flying tendencies. Most won't. The ones you really have to worry about flying away are Mallards and Muscovy. Everyone else, it's pretty unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom