Need help teaching 2 pullets that MY house is not their house.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Xovan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    OK I will try to explain the problem the best I can. On 16 July one of our NN pullets had the skin ripped off her neck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We set up a large dog crate in the house and I treated her. At night we would bring in one of the other NN pullets to keep her company. All went well. She is now completely healed. For the last 2 weeks We have let her slowly reintegrate into the flock. That has gone great. She mostly stays with her nighttime sleep mate but was smart enough to make nice with the boss Roo. Well this is where my problem starts. the first week or so we were still letting the girls stay in the crate at night. They would show up at the sliding door of our second story deck waiting to go to bed in the crate. The last 4 nights we felt comfortable enough to put them out at night in the coop with the others. Again all has gone well. problem is the girls come up now at like 6:30pm. if we bring them back out then they get harassed a bit and head back the the house. All goes well when we put them out there after dark. So how do I teach them to not come to the house. Any suggestions would be great!!! The sooner the better too as I believe they both are going to start laying real soon.Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Looking at your pictures, it appears you have a run. Is that correct? If so, keep it closed until they figure out where to sleep. I'd imagine it would only take a few nights.

Anyway, chickens are real big on routine. Your girls are used to coming inside your house at night, you need to break that habit. If they don't have the opportunity to run over to your house, they may take the hint and follow everyone else into THEIR house. Good luck!

3. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Yes it is a huge run but the deck stairs go down into the run. they are somehow getting around the gate I have put up to keep the chickens down in the run. thank you for responding.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by