1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help Telling if Male or Female

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katz5617, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Not sure which forum to ask - since they aren't really babies anymore but they are not adults - if I use the age that the lady said they were when I bought them - they would be almost ten weeks old - if I go by what I think they were using the photos of other chicks that age I think they are eight weeks old. I originally thought one of the Barred Rocks was a male, but am now convinced it is a female - now watching their development and seeing differences emerge I have two Rhode Island Reds that I am concerned are males. I tried to take the best pictures I could - the two with the bright red combs that are much larger than the others are the two that I am questioning - the other two Rhode Island Reds are not nearly as developed and the small beginnings of their combs are a much lighter hue. I tried to get a fair shot of at least one of them from the side showing their feathers and combs and some not so good shots - I think I also have one that shows the head of what I think is a female. Any help appreciated. I cannot have roosters in the city limits. I can take them back where I purchased them - but it's quite a ways - I will be going in that direction this weekend - so it would be easier to take them back now versus later.[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Okay the first picture - a bit far - but I had the two that I think may be roosters in that frame at the far back - I included that one because the tail feathers on the one to the left seems to be taking on a bit of a different look. The second picture I tried to get a photo of the legs and the brighter red, more developed comb. The third picture is a RIR that I got at the same time, same batch, same age and the comb is not so nearly developed and is a very muted shade - I put that one in for comparison and the last one is the best shot of the side I could get of one of the two RIR's that I am questioning. Any thoughts or opinions?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

3. Katz5617

Jul 21, 2014
    Okay if that one RIR is a male then the other is definitely a male. Strange that you said that about the Barred Rock - because that is the first one I suspected being male, but it has the black front legs - I have a better picture of that one I will attach. That one is the favorite of my youngest grandson and the one he named - he will be heartbroken if Molly is indeed Marvin. I am going to attach a photo of Molly as well - she/he is the Barred Rock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are all pictures of the Barred Rock - Molly - I originally suspected Molly was Marvin but have been wavering and decided that it was a Molly because of the black on the front of the legs - this is one of my favorites - could it be a he as well?

4. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    it seems my reds always have big comb and wattles and if you didnt have a rooster you would swear at 16weeks it was a roo....but if they were a tad younger it would be easy as the roos all have short tails till later...but even at 8 weeks the tails look long so i say all hens...

5. Katz5617

Jul 21, 2014
    One vote for RIR cockrels and one for hens - anyone else because I sure don't know. I guess I can keep them a few weeks longer to know for certain - but it is a two hour drive to take them back to where I purchased them if I make a special trip, but this weekend we are heading that direction so would save me a lot of time if I had a pretty good idea. These two RIR are definitely larger than the other two - very easy to distinguish them by size and the combs are twice as big on those two and bright red - where the other two combs you can barely discern and they are more of a pinkish yellow - but this is my first foray into chickens so I don't have a clue - the only hands on knowledge I had was as a child when my grandmother raised chickens and that has been more than 50 years ago and from what I read here. Other than that - I am learning as I go. They are a lot of fun to watch and I have enjoyed them immensely. I cannot wait until we have our first egg. Ironically we are not that fond of eggs and eat very few - just cook with a few, but I can't wait to see that first egg. We'll be like kids at Christmas. So any other thoughts as to whether I have a couple of boys mixed in the lot.

6. Katz5617

Jul 21, 2014
    I sent the photos to one of my friends who raises and sells chickens and turkeys and she said boy. Anyone else have an opinion?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's sounds pretty decisive!

8. Katz5617

Jul 21, 2014
    I checked and rechecked with several folks and it was determined that Lizzie is indeed Leon and Lady is indeed Tramp. I found them both new homes with a family that just bought a small farm not far from our house, but just outside the city limits. They have children and were pleased to know that the boys are gentle and have been regularly handled by myself and my grandchildren. She contacted me this morning - there was already a chicken coop and run on the property so now they have their first occupants. I was able to easily catch them and put them in a box for transport. The scariest part was carrying them all the way across the lawn to get them out. I was a bit anxious that if they began a ruckus that our dog would try to get to them in the basket. He was extremely interested and followed me and sniffed at the basket, but he never barked, growled or lunged. We made it across the lawn without incident and they are on their way to their new home. We are once again an all girl's club. I wouldn't have thought I would say this, but I am really going to miss them. I have become attached to each of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by