1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help!! They are picking his bum...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Apr 13, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    A new little silkie just hatched and his little rear is all red and gooey still, the other chicks are pecking and pulling at it, what do I do?

2. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Did he just hatch? I always leave my chicks in the bator until they dry off and fluff up before removing them to the brooder. If he just hatched, I would put him back into the incubator until he dries - I leave mine 12 hours or more.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Is everyone still in the incubator or have you put them in the brooder?...Is your hatch finished?..I'd leave the pecked on chick in the incubator til things absorb more on him and take the others out quickly and put in the brooder box....

4. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Chicks usually peck at anything that doesn't look right on each other. Red spots especially. That's why it's recomended to have a red colored heating light. It makes everything look red thus deters pecking. Another choice is to spray the red spot with antiseptic blue spray. This is available at any feed store or pet store. Just ask for Blue Coat. They will know what you want.

5. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Get yourself some VetRX from a feed store or hatchery. You can also
    try some Vicks vapor rub. Chickens seem to hate the taste of it. They will
    pick once but then stop. It has worked wonders for me on many a picked
    chicken.

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    The ones that are picking on the little one we hatched yesterday. They are all still in the bator. I did seperate the little one into the corner of the bator for a bit, and that seemed to help. I will move them to the brooder tomorrow. I still have 3 that haven't hatched. I'm not even sure they have pipped yet.

7. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    As far as leaving the chicks in the bator for 12 hours or whatever; Is it alright to do that, since they will be eliminating inside the bator while other chicks are hatching and also wandering around bator? I am just curious as I do let my stay in the bator until they are dry. However, I was told I should leave them in the bator overnight before putting them in the brooder. Advise?

8. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Some chicks come out of the egg like jumping beans and dry quicker, and those, I move to a brooder once they dry, but for those that are a little sluggish, or have the shell attached, or whatever, I keep in the bator longer - I don't keep any over 24 hours tho - as for eliminating in the bator that's one of the reasons to use shelf liner - it helps keep the bator clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by