Need Help... They're Trying To Take My Birds...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Little_Bigfoot, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    So I Live Inner City (a Very Very Rural City) And I Live Next To A Bar And A Gas Station As Well As A Logging Yard... I Went To The Gas Station To Get Some Soda For My Morning Pick Me Up And One Of The Workers Advised Me That The Owner As Well As Another Employee Were Contacting The Mayor Of The City Regarding My Birds And Thier "noise" Now I Am No Expert On The Matter So I Was Wondering Can I Get My Birds Taken Away Based On Noise Ordinances? Even Though The Logging Yard Fires Up Thier Logging Excavators And Semi-truck All Day. And The Bar Across The Street Has Drunks Yelling Every Night At Closing Time With No Issues?
    Pretty Much I Grew Up On A 300 Acre Farm For The First Seventeen Years Of My Life And My Father Got A New Job So We Were Forced To Move And The Quail Are My Way Of Holding On To What Little Way Of Life I Have Left....
    Any Help Would Be Appriciated I Will Be Contacting The Dptmnt. Of Fish And Wildlife In The Morning But Has Any One Else Been In This Situation?

2. Grey and green feathers

Grey and green feathers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    im about the opposite. ive lived 16 years of no property wishing for some acrage and distance from neighbors, and now that my dad has a job in the middle of nowhere, i might soon have land to run around on [​IMG] yippee! ...trying not to get my hopes up too much. i have 5 hens and a rooster inside city limits in a neighborhood backyard. the coop is literally 10 feet from the neighbors yard. it helps when you are super friendly and offer things like eggs and stuff to them, and when they get angry, try to be positive and ask if theres any particular sound that drives them nuts... then fix it. i had my quail freaking out in the early mornings because of the wild birds, so i put out some rubber snakes to keep the chickadees away. no more upset quail chip-chipping. no more woken neighbors. also, maybe you could describe your situation to them. they might understand a little bit. and if the coppers still come for your precious birds, present your case about the logging noise. just dont be disrespectful at all. those authorities like to be looked upon from below (lol)

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Probably not, most noise ordinances require that the noise be so many decibels for such amount of time from the complainers property. I don't think a business is going to count and chickens don't make that level of noise. Also the employee cannot complain about the noise, it is not their property.

The only thing I can think of is if they had a no crowing rooster ordinance like the barking dog ones they have.......

Most cities and counties have their ordinances online so you can look them up.

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    It's sad, people would rather have a factory next door instead of a few birds...

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Are they just blowing off steam? If it were me, I would wait for an official complaint in the mail, and then fight it at the commissioners meeting. But, it might be drawing attention to your birds. Are you zoned correctly, and are you following all the local and state laws for correct numbers? That's the part I would be more worried about, they shouldn't be able to nail you on a noise ordinance. [​IMG]

Good luck!

6. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I have the same problem, I have 1 peacock and he calls to the wild ones around here when ever they make noise. I think the sound is kinda cool but my neighbors have called the cops on all my birds forcing me to pen them up or get rid of them. But I am sick of my neighbors and I am not getting rid of my peacock he is just to pretty! A cop showed up this morning and pounded on the door but I dont know what he wanted.

7. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT QUAILS OR CHICKENS?

IN MOST OF THE AREAS YOU CAN KEEP HENS BUT NO ROOSTERS

BUT THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO LIKES TO MAKE SOMEONE ELSE LIFE MISERABLE.

I ONCE HAD 1 PAIR OF DUCKS AND ONE DAY ANIMAL CONTROL SHOW UP AT MY DOOR AND TOLD ME THAT SOMEONE HAD REPORTED THAT A DUCK WAS BEING ABUSED AND HE NEEDED TO CHECK.
    AFTER CHECKING HE REALISED I HAD ROOSTERS AND ASK ME TO REHOME MOST OF THE BIRDS THAN HE LIMITED ME TO A CERTAIN NUMBER.

HE KEPT ON SHOWING FEW MORE TIMES WITHOUT NOTICE.

8. Little_Bigfoot

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    its not like i have a lot of birds my only one who calls is my bobwhite and i am more than nice to every one in this town so it kind of caught me off guard,but it is what it is... pretty much the only reason people are complaining is because i built my pen in the front yard so every one can see them. i figured it would be a good way to get people asking about quail and raise intrest in the area, which it has, i have given away over 50 coturnix, given away californias, given away blue scales, and sold a few as well. but my point is pretty much i just have something diffrent going on and they are not use to it, and so they are disapproving, but i just dont understand what my birds are doing that is harming them so much, can i shoot the pigeons because they call how about the starlings, robins, blue jays, and osprey?
    it is a sad day when the mayor is more worried about a few birds making a little noise (in my opinion a beautiful noise) rather than the local drug issue or the theft and crime rate in the area, but if they want to waste thier time thats fine by me becuase i am going to learn every little law there is and fight them for as long as it takes...

9. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    At this point you should not worry

unless am office have contacted you

let people talk

10. Little_Bigfoot

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    i have been on the phone all day and looking at local ordinances, it says that the fowl cannot be housed less than 50 feet from any other home, which it is not, and it saysif an animal makes a habbitual noise that causes complaints from two or more complaintants within the "immidiate" neihbor hood. i asked the city hall lady and she first said i had to ask all my neihbors if it was ok first... which i did not see any where as a local ordinance.... then i asked her what the definition of an immidiate neihbor hood was and she couldnt specify that either. if you ask me an "imidiate neihbor hood" would not have a highway running threw it, which my "complaintant" is in a building

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by