need help to identify breed of rescued chics...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenni22776rn, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I posted prior regarding these chicks..I am unsure of breed and gender..
    I know the smaller chicks are RIR..unsure if Roos or not. The larger ones I was told are Buff Orpingtons..though unsure agin of gender..the largest one looks like a Roo with his stance and thick legs...but any ideas? [​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    The large one looks like Buff orp roo and the other possibly RIR....totally guessing, can't see the feathering very good in those pics!

3. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These show the feathers better of the smller ones...

4. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I think it's a RIR pullet, what age are they?

5. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I am unsure of the age..They were found together in a cardboard box thrown away...I think based on other pictures if chicks..the larger ones may be approx 5 weeks and the smaller ones might be around 4 weeks..they are all getting feathers..with the larger ones all feathers are in..any ideas of age? These pictures were taken 1 week ago..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    such a sad story, I wonder if they abandoned them because the suspected both to be rooster....The large on is for sure. The second I'm guessing pullet, but only time will tell.

7. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    Who would just throw them away like that. So horrible. They are cute no less. So adorable.

8. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    There was 18 baby chicks in all..one was lost due to the cold...17 survived and have made themselves at home in my living room. I suspect the 7 larger ones were discarded due to being roos but unsure of why the other 10 were..they look like pullets..the larger ones were marked with green and smaller ones marked with purple..unsure of their story..but now I have 17 baby chicks that are given another chance..warm home...plenty of food and a "mommy" that loves them. I know I can not keep all 17..but plan on keeping some..I have a friend with a large farm that is going to take whatever ones I can't keep. Going to be hard to say goodbye to them..but know my roost just can not room 20 chickens...my larger 3 ladies have a little bed and breakfast they love and I would hate to sqeeze them out of their home..[​IMG]

9. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I would have rescued them too, how cruel for someone to dump them like that! Good for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by