Need help to save a chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 13Bettys, Apr 20, 2018.

1. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chirping

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    I bought 15 chicks from the feed store today. I believe they are 2 days old. On of my Speckled Sussex chicks won’t really open her eyes, won’t eat, only drinking from syringe and is very weak. I am holding her against my chest with my hand around her for now but I want to do everything I can to save her. Please help!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get some Poultry NutriDrench or SaveAChick electrolytes right away. PND can be given orally a drop at a time, or the SAC can be mixed into water. Dip her beak for a second, let her swallow, and repeat as often as possible. Check her bottom for pasty butt or poo.

AlleysChicks likes this.
  3. ellie62706

ellie62706 Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    Try feeding her some of these...............

-Scrambled egg (I've tried it, this works!)
    -Boiled water with sage(I've also tried this and it works too!)
    -Sugar water(I haven't tried it but I know you need to use it short term to avoid pasty butt)
    -Egg yolk mixed with water ( Never tried this, but it's supposed to work miracles!)
    -Molasses and water (Never tried it, short term, can lead to pasty butt!)

I had a weak chick who was lying on its side, not breathing, dead. I put him under a hair drier for an hour holding him, and now he's one of my chicks who's thriving the most. when I did this he was only one day old, so it may not work for you.

4. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chirping

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    Thank you. I will definitely try. Now I have a different one panting like crazy! This is my 4th batch of chicks and I have never had any of this before.

5. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chirping

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    Also the one who won’t open her eyes only walks backwards until she hits a corner then she stops. The others were all over her so I don’t want to keep her in there until she’s a little better.

6. ellie62706

ellie62706 Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    He might be overheated if he's panting.Also, you might want to put a friend in with the separated chick, they learn by watching others.

7. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chirping

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    E293E3B0-951B-4DF4-AB5F-E10C3A8F34C4.jpeg This is where I have her for now. I read it can help. I’m going to try to get her to eat a little more egg yolk and water then will see how she’s doing. I have already seen some improvements. When she can stand strong on her own I will put her back with the rest and watch her to see how she does.

The one that was panting is doing fine now. I’m keeping a close eye on all of them. I have their box beside where I’m sitting

8. ellie62706

ellie62706 Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    I heard of that! So glad she is doing a little better!

9. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma If u try, u risk failure. If u don’t, u ensure it.

Mar 13, 2018
    Allegany County , NY
    I have used that "technique" also and it has worked for me twice. I hope all goes well and there are no more problems!:hugs

10. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chirping

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    How long did you do this? (Keeping chick close to you) I don’t want to over do it and her not be able to adapt to being with the other chicks but she’s still very wobbly and I don’t want to put her with the others yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: