1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help to save my NJG

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babsterh, Dec 31, 2013.

1. babsterh

babsterh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    The other day I asked for advice on my NJG that wouldn't walk on her leg. Today, we discovered that its not her leg, she has an open wound just above her thigh towards her chest... there is a flap of skin about an inch thick that is hanging down, the wound looks like a depressed area. You can see into her chest. I am so upset that we didn't see this earlier, we were focused on her leg. I cleaned the wound the best that I could. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should moving forward? Taking her to a vet is not an option. I have no idea how this happened, the rest of the flock is fine, they are being very protective of her. Thank you so very much!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about your girl. Hopefully somebody will be able to give you some advice. Might help if could you post pictures of her injury, especially what you mean by being able to see into her chest? Do you have her on antibiotics? How is she acting/feeling otherwise, eating, drinking etc?

3. babsterh

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. We are flushing her wound with Poultry Aid but she's not on an antibiotic. Is there a certain antibiotic that we should use? She is eating quite well and left the coop today on her own. She spent the day under a juniper tree. The strange thing about the wound is that its very deep but not bloody.

I have no idea how this happened. We had a possum attack and kill our BO several weeks ago. I caught the possum.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since the wound is a few days old, I would just once use some hydrogen peroxide to flush it out, and then try to probe into the wound to see how deep it is. If it is a puncture wound it may abscess if it closes off, so keeping it open with antibiotic ointment for a couple of days is important and then it will granulate in and heal from the inside out. Antibiotics such as keflex, clavamox, amoxicillin, or baytril would be good, but you can only get them from a vet or a prescription, unless you get them online usually through a fish store. The feed stores do stock procaine penicillin G which would help if you can give a shot. The dosage is 1/10th of a cc/ml up to 1/2 cc/ml into the breast muscle for 4 days with a 20 gauge needle--only stick it in 1/2 inch.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. babsterh

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    Eggcessive, you are a wealth of information, thank you! Our feed store is closed today but I have RXs on hand for amoxicillin 500mg capsules and dicloxacillin 500mg capsules. These are adult doses but I could open the capsules and use a small amount...would this work, if so which one should I use? We're getting ready to flush her wound with peroxide. I also have neosporin and bacitracin on hand. This isn't a puncture wound, its more of a deep slice if that makes sense. She seems to be doing well this morning in spite of her wound, she ate eggs. I believe that she also laid an egg in the poop tray but its covered in runny poop. The other girls all lay their eggs in a nesting box so I'm sure that its hers. I will try to get some pictures today also. Thank you once again!! Happy New Year!!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In the poultry pedia website she says Amoxicillin dosage is 100-300 mg daily. I would open the 500 mg capsule into a tablespoonful of yogurt or applesauce, and mix really well. Divide into 4 portions. Give 1 portion (150 mg) twice a day, which should be enough for 2 days. Refrigerate the rest, and make new every other day. Treat for 7-10 days. I have done this with liverwurst and can fool my finicky dogs into taking their meds that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by