Need help to Socialize new scared/timied puppies.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Teresaann24, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Yesterday I went and picked up two beagle puppies. Both females its very sad that these cuties are very scared they are not the happy go lucky pups they should be. [​IMG]

I'v had scared pups before but they were always chihuahuas.

The only thing I can think of doing is loving on them lots and giving them yummy treats and show them I am not going to hurt them.

Any advice on helping socialize them would be great. I would like to train these cuties ASAP since they are already 3 months old but with them being scared of me training them is out of the question just yet.

2. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    How old were they when they left their mother and the rest of the litter? Beagles, being hunting dogs, can be timid, especially those from field lines. The field dogs are kept in packs and the owners don't make pets of them. Their pack is their family.

The bad news is, the prime window for puppy socialization is from 8 to 16 weeks. You really need to work with them as much as you can this next week. Lots of treats, lots of snuggles. The bad news is, since they've got each other, they don't really need to bond to you, so you need to make yourself really interesting to them. Hand feed them as much as you can, and work with one at a time. Put the other out of sight (and yep, it's gonna scream its little beagle head off) and feed, snuggle and play with the other one. Then put that one up and repeat with the other.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:This was my fear that they have been raised without being handled. I asked the breeder and he did say he raised hunting dogs. He said the pups were scared cause he had to chase them down and give them shots. they was still with their mother till yesterday when I went and got them.

Here is pics of them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. FourPawz

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Awwww. There is nothing cuter on the planet than a baby beagle. Ok, even though the window is from 8 to 16 weeks, begin working with them and don't give up. Do you have somebody in the family that could handle one while you handle the other? A kid who could play with one pup outside while the other's in with you for example?

Well, at least the pups weren't taken from momma too early. But, being huntin' dawgs, they may never be the most outgoing dogs on the planet but they will come around with you and your family. Just give them time and attention and one day you'll look at them following along behind you and realize they're part of your family. They're in a new place, things are strange right now. They'll adjust.

I grew up with beagles. I've got a soft spot to this day for them.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually, I believe training will help to socialize them -- but only training by positive reinforcement, like affection or treats. Dogs love to "work," be successful at learning the "come" command or whatever, and being rewarded. They want very much to please. Each command they learn will improve your bond as well as keep them busy, prevent some boredom or getting into trouble. I would use body language with them like turning my back or holding my hands up, palms forward, to indicate "no," but I wouldn't even say "no" to them and certainly wouldn't punish in any way.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    They need time with you they will learn that you and your family are their new pack I would start working them on some basic commands like learning to come make a game of it. They need to be challenged to keep from finding mischief. good luck and have fun with your new puppies.

7. FourPawz

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Very good advice. But, they need a LOT of one-on-one attention to get them to really become attached to their human family. They're going to be really bonded to each other, but you want them to also bond tightly to their human pack.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    sorry I didn't reply sooner we have been playing with them all morning! They are warming up alot and already responding to their names! I just love cuddling them we took your advice and have taken them away from each other and been loving and playing with them. We even took them outside they really liked that they sniffed all over and even have started to play. Just goes to show what a little loving can do!!!

9. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    You can't reinforce the "scared" or "shy" behavior, either. Don't say "oh, its okay..." cause then they will think it is okay to be afraid. I had a beagle once that was scared too. You couldn't ever yell at her or tell her no. It would set me back a good week or longer in training if I did. Redirect with anything that you would want to tell them "no", for instance: If they are chewing on something they should not, give them something they should (a dog toy or chewie) and tell them "Good dog"; If they start to potty in the house, quietly pick them up and take them out, when they are on the ground, say "good dog". etc. This takes a lot longer, but does work. Our beagle turned out to be one of the best dogs we ever had. But it really was a LOT of work and a test of patience!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    you need to be socializing these pups pronto! dont feel sorry for them when you bring people in they need to learn people=good things so invite over a few people and give everyone a pocketful of treats and tell everyone to ignore the puppies and sit down allow the puppies to approach them not the other way around everytime one approachs have that person give them a treat it would also be a great idea to find someone who has an outgoing puppy that loves people and bring it over to join in the outgoing puppy will draw the puppies out and feel safer about meeeting and greeting but again make sure the people you inc=vite over are calm,quiet and not going to squeel "oh lookit the adorable puppies!" or try grabbing them ect. if your able try doing this as often as possable say once per day? try taking them out one at a time to the bank,post office,to pay the bills to run errands bring treats with you and ask people who seem intrested say "hi im trying to socielize this puppy could you help me out and offer him/her this treat without trying to touch or talk to him/her?" it will help you to seperate them becuase they depend on eachother and while they are depending on eachother they are helping to fuel eachothers timidness. i know it sounds kind of eman to force allot of interaction on them but you are basically desensatizing them the first few times will be difficult for them but the more often then are placed in these situations they quicker then learn with how to deal with them becuase thats basically how they are going to become comfortable if you baby there shyness and there insecurities they they have no need to "deal" with the fear but if you show them in a possative reassuring way how to deal with it and that nothing bad will happen they can get over the fear and have self confedence in themselves and you becuase you introduced. a really great gateway is thru other dogs mellow confedent socielized dogs other dogs who love people will lead them too people since htey will feel safer with other dogs and being puppies they will naturally follow and look toward other dogs for guidence so get a few freind who have great well behaved mellow dogs and all get together a few times a week fun for you and the dogs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by