Need help to stop rooster from attacking me

Kentuckyrain

Chirping
Jun 4, 2015
Northern Michigan
So my rooster is now a year old, white Silkie. Had him and my chicks/hens for about 2 months now. All of a sudden, the rooster now attacks me from behind, usually after I have fed/watered them all and am leaving.

He has been doing this for days now, when my back is turned,, I feel my ankles being attacked, I turn around and he is there flapping his wings at me. I try to reach out or catch him and he runs from me....

He does NOT do this when my hubby approaches. When hubby comes near, they ALL RUN. When I come near, they all approach me.

I personally deal with this behavior by throwing a plastic coffee can at the rooster, I will keep this up every time I see them until they think better of it, sometimes I chase them until they won't face me, the can startles them, I had a little d'uccle rooster try this one year, he sure was sorry, he's better now, but he hated that coffee can.

I personally deal with this behavior by throwing a plastic coffee can at the rooster, I will keep this up every time I see them until they think better of it, sometimes I chase them until they won't face me, the can startles them, I had a little d'uccle rooster try this one year, he sure was sorry, he's better now, but he hated that coffee can.
LMMFAO!!!!

I am trying to picture this in my head.

I tried a few times swinging the water bucket at him,, it did catch his head and throw him down on the ground, but it does not seem to help,, he runs from me if I face him, but the second my back is turned,,, he is on me,,,, my hubby suggested I wear one of his caps and put it on backwards??

Sorry, I do not have any roosters so I having no experience in this area. I just wanted to mention that I thought it was very clever of your little guy to wait until after you have fed/watered them
wink.png

So my rooster is now a year old, white Silkie. Had him and my chicks/hens for about 2 months now. All of a sudden, the rooster now attacks me from behind, usually after I have fed/watered them all and am leaving.

He has been doing this for days now, when my back is turned,, I feel my ankles being attacked, I turn around and he is there flapping his wings at me. I try to reach out or catch him and he runs from me....

He does NOT do this when my hubby approaches. When hubby comes near, they ALL RUN. When I come near, they all approach me. 

He sees you as the dominant as is trying to assert his flock dominance over you... throwing things or being aggressive back will either make him worse or make him fear you... fear in any animal can be very dangerous, it can cause them to seem docile until one day out of the blue they react on that fear and attack full force...

I've found the best way to deal with it is to catch him as soon as you enter the pen and tuck him under your arm like a football, head under your elbow... be gentle but firm and carry him with you while yiu take care of the hens... after you're done and before you put him down, hold him and rub his wattle area and down his chest for a bit... put him down and wait for him to move away before leaving the pen...

If he doesn't calm down in a week or so, then I'd replace him with a non-aggressive roo... some will stop, some won't... good luck... :)

The thing with the tossed can is they don't know where it's coming from, you have to toss it at the bugger as he's running away, my little guy tried it with gusto for a week, bashing the back of my boots, than I tried for about a month, he learned respect, sometimes you have to be a dominant rooster, controlling his every move, never letting him eat or mate while you stand there. I enjoy the challenge of outwitting a chicken.

I had a rooster that attacked me in the same manner, but his attacks got increasingly nasty - he did make for a tasty stew though! When i posted the problem, as you have done, the majority of responses advised giving him the axe. He was however a huge bird - silkies are not so big (I think) so maybe that could be a little harsh.

Following advice on BYC i am now "training" my new rooster to show me respect. I use a water spray - he hates it and i can accurately soak him from quite a distance! That works for me, combined with ensuring that you walk "through" him, i.e. not around him. He must move for you and not the other way around.

Hope that helps!
Good luck

CT

He sees you as the dominant as is trying to assert his flock dominance over you... throwing things or being aggressive back will either make him worse or make him fear you... fear in any animal can be very dangerous, it can cause them to seem docile until one day out of the blue they react on that fear and attack full force...

I've found the best way to deal with it is to catch him as soon as you enter the pen and tuck him under your arm like a football, head under your elbow... be gentle but firm and carry him with you while yiu take care of the hens... after you're done and before you put him down, hold him and rub his wattle area and down his chest for a bit... put him down and wait for him to move away before leaving the pen...

If he doesn't calm down in a week or so, then I'd replace him with a non-aggressive roo... some will stop, some won't... good luck...
smile.png
I will give this a try, thank you very much for your advice :)

I had a rooster that attacked me in the same manner, but his attacks got increasingly nasty - he did make for a tasty stew though! When i posted the problem, as you have done, the majority of responses advised giving him the axe. He was however a huge bird - silkies are not so big (I think) so maybe that could be a little harsh.

Following advice on BYC i am now "training" my new rooster to show me respect. I use a water spray - he hates it and i can accurately soak him from quite a distance! That works for me, combined with ensuring that you walk "through" him, i.e. not around him. He must move for you and not the other way around.

Hope that helps!
Good luck

CT
Interesting,, I am up for the water thing,, so how does this work? What kind of water sprayer? How do I use it?

I use a small one that is used for watering house plants but it has a pump action (sounds a bit gun-like) so you can pressurise the bottle and then squeeze the trigger!

Back
Top Bottom