Need help training my girls to go in at night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mistyray_lynn, May 12, 2011.

1. Mistyray_lynn

Mistyray_lynn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Sometimes chickens sure are dumb.

I have six girls that every night sit at the end of the run waiting for me. They will not go in the house unless I herd them in. During the day, however, they go in and out of the house no problem. They are now about 10 weeks old and have been in the coop for over two weeks. I've tried cooping them up in the hen house for a couple of days and have tried feeding them in the coop.

How do I re-train these crazy birds to go in at night... on their own instead of with my help?

TIA

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Turn on a flashlight and set it inside, pointed slightly up at the wall.

They could be afraid of the dark. Chickens actually ARE afraid of the dark.

See if that works. If it does, you won't need it after a while once they get into the habit of going inside on their own.

3. Mistyray_lynn

Mistyray_lynn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Quote:Funny you should say this. I do know that they are afraid of the dark. And the girls will only allow themselves to be "herded" into the house if I set my little lantern (battery operated) inside first. This is my third flock of chicks and in the past the birds would just go inside before dark.

Do you have a suggestion regarding what time I set the light inside? After dark? Dusk? I have been going out after dark, each day hoping that this will be the evening they go in on their own. Tomorrow I will try the lantern without the herding and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by