Need help! Trying to get my first rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mschickiemama, Feb 19, 2012.

1. mschickiemama

mschickiemama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Hi guys,
    We have 7 chickens and want a rooster so they can have babies if they want. One of my hens has gone broody in the past, but no rooster so that was pointless.

Our Andalusian hen is basically the "rooster" of the flock. She mounts all the other chickens & she's got a huge comb. She's the boss. lol

So I've been looking on Craigslist & I don't know what type/breed of rooster to get. I'm worried that she won't submit to it. Should I get one with a huge comb like hers? Does it matter? [​IMG]

Also, what's better. A bantam or a giant rooster? Would a bantam get respect from my hens? Would a big rooster hurt my hens with the heavy weight?

And what age of rooster should I get?

Please anyone with rooster experience help me out...[​IMG]

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    You could just get some fertile eggs to put under your broody, and skip the hassle of getting a roo.

3. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    I tried the fertile eggs thing...it was totally disgusting. The eggs turned rotten & my chicken was ****** off...I'd rather not do that again.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

By far, the best rooster is a MATURE rooster. We're talking at least one that is over a year old. Mature cocks will simply take charge and treat the ladies with respect. A youger, less mature rooster will be resented by the hens as a trespassor. The breed is up to you, but one the size of your dominant hen should be minimal as there will possibly be a quick skirmish. Unless you have some bantam hens, a full sized cock will be fine. Little banty hens are tough, though and a light breed large rooster would work fine. Craigs list is usually a great source for what you're looking for. Just remember... MATURE, not just full grown. Don't be in a rush. The right one will come along........Pop

5. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    Thanks for the help! I'll keep on the lookout for a mature rooster on Craigslist...a lot of the people are selling young ones which I was thinking my hens would probably not respect at all. I guess I'm just going to have to be patient.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You could also on CL post that you are looking for one and your purpose.,as some people think that people on CL just want the birds to eat. See if your state has a SPCA farm, as mine does. I ended up with 4 roosters but didn't want any but would settle if I had one pop up. I ended up bringing two to a farm that's run by SPCA that takes just unwanted roosters and allows them to live out their lives. Its worth a shot and you might get it cheap.

7. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Petfinder also has some listed.

8. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    Thanks for the responses everyone. A good rooster showed up on Craigslist today! I'm going to go pick him up tomorrow. A handsome buff orpington 1 1/2 years old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by