need help understanding how to raise baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shana wilson, Aug 18, 2014.

1. shana wilson

shana wilson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    I have read up on other posts but i am getting 12 baby chicks this evening and want to know what to have by the time i get them home. i have a tank to put them in for the time being is there certain temperatures or conditions i need for them. The tank is only temporary!!! just until they get older and start moving around very good then they will be in a coop we have built for them. If its possible i would like to continuously be able to talk to someone if i have further questions, thats why i have joined BYC. thanks for your help.

2. shana wilson

Aug 17, 2014

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

First how old are the chicks? You'll want the brooder to be 95 degrees the first week (if you have day old chicks) then drop it about 5 degrees every week. Make sure there is a shaded corner in case they need to escape the heat. Have their chick starter, fresh water, and fresh bedding ready. At about five weeks they should be fully feathered and able to live in the coop without heat. If you move them earlier just make sure you can safely add a heat source such as a lamp for them.

If you have any other questions theres lots of people with lots of different knowledge.

1 person likes this.
  4. shana wilson

Aug 17, 2014
    They are 3 days old today. ok that helps alot. I need all the knowledge i can thats for sure. Im open to all suggestions no matter what it is just to help me understand more.

5. AZChiknGoddess

AZChiknGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    They are pretty easy to raise really. I raise mine in plastic tubs with wire on top to keep the predators out. I put news paper down for them to walk on the first few days. Change it a couple times daily. Then at a week or so you can put pine shavings or wood stove pellets down for bedding. Buy an inexpensive thermometer and put it in the box or tub. Put it on the floor to measure the temp about 4- 6" away from your light/heat and start at 95 the first week and go down 5 degrees a week til they have feathers. Put your heat light to one side of the brooder box so they can move away if they are too hot. Buy the chick feeders and waterers at the farm store. Keep bedding feeders and waterers clean clean clean. Feed them chick starter and you can add chopped veggies after a couple of weeks. Be prepared to become completely crazy about chickens! They are fun and addictive.

1 person likes this.
  6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I also added a really low thin roost for practice. At my my work we use these heavy duty boxes attached to a pallet...one was recycled into a brooder :) I just carved out some holes and stuck it through. They used it but it didn't seem to help them roost in the real coop haha

What kind of chicks are you getting?

1 person likes this.
  7. shana wilson

Aug 17, 2014
    I got a mix layer. I'm not sure what kind they are at this time I will post pics shortly.

8. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    [​IMG]
    Hey there! Glad you've joined the crazy, fun world f chicken keeping! X2 to what's been said so far...this site is chock full of all the info you will ever want (or not want, lol) to know about chickens...and other fowl. Get some chick starter crumble....some will say medicated for coccidiosis and some not....that's a controversial point so I'll leave the choice to you but myself I didn't use medicated starter and my birds all turned out great! From most of what I read, it only becomes a problem in situations where many chickens are being kept over and over in the same area. coccidian is an extremely common bacteria found in almost all dirt, so exposing your chicks to some outdoor material and gradually building up their immunity without meds at about 2 weeks should do ya fine...furthermore chickens digest their food in a crop. It's a small pouch in their throat where the food gets ground up into more digestible pieces. Part of what helps them do this is grit, or, tiny bits of sand and rock. If you feed them anything except chick starter (which I wouldn't do for a couple weeks) they will need it. I fed mine spinach after a while just for something new. Anything will do as a feeding trough too....I used an egg carton. A mason jar type waterer is best for chickies.

Enough about food. As far as bedding, pine shavings, newspaper all work fine but I really preferred wood pellets as was already stated, also because I brooded ducklings with my chicks and wood pellets are super absorbent and smell real nice. I use them in my chicken coop as well. As far as heat, I used a red heat lamp, but I didn't bother with a thermometer. I clamped the lamp on one side and the box was big enough they had plenty of room to get away if needed....watch how they react to the lamp when they are in there....if they huddle in a ball then the lamp may be too far above. If they run to the corners and sides all the time it may be too close. I had a lot of cardboard boxes to spare from work so that's what I used, but anything will work really...

So did you just get females for eggs? Are you raising for meat, or for show? What breeds? They sure are cute and fun as chicks....btw don't be alarmed if they all of a sudden look passed out dead on the brooder floor...they are just sleeping...[​IMG]Let us know how it goes!

9. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Have you considered picking up some books too? Just to have something on hand.

10. shana wilson

Aug 17, 2014
    I'm not sure what breeds they are, but it was a mix layer. I am looking into getting a few books as well. I got them for mainly show the eggs from the females would be a plus. I'm not sure how many I will have of females or the males. I tried to post pics but I couldn't get it to post yet. The Internet sucks to be honest. Too many trees I guess. I will get them uploaded as soon as I can and maybe someone will know what they are. I think most of them are ameracaunas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by