NEED HELP! URGENT!! small chick with eye problems!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gerbil, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It's the same Serama chick I have been having trouble with! There is a small red growth right above his eyelid now. He has been itching his eye for a while and I thought he was just itchy. He has not been exposed to wood chips or anything outside, could he have caught his eyelid with a toenail? What should I do?

Thanks, Gerbil

Update, It's bigger than it was and it's starting to pull on his eyelid. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Can I put antibiotic cream on it?

3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It's bigger now! Could it be infected?

Help please!!!!

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    It's pushing on his little eye now!!! What should I do!!!!????

Help!!!!!!!

5. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I haven't experienced this however some polysporin without pain relief can't hurt... if it looks a bit dirty try and clean it up a bit with a qtip first... he probably scratched himself while itching, have you seen their grubby feet.

On this you might want to do is google mites and check him... perhaps he is scratching because of them...

6. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Quote:He is as clean as a chick can be, it's not open and I can't find any mites. He probably did scratch himself! The only problem is it's growing, could it be infected?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  7. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    try the polysporin... if its growing that fast it must be infected.

8. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Ok, Will it hurt him if it gets in his eye? I am afraid that next time he itches he will get some in his eye.

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Polysporin won't hurt his eye. It's prescribed for people with eye infections.
    You could also try a mild boric acid solution (also used for cleaning eye wounds).
    You may want to isolate this chick until it heals.

Even if you hobble his legs so he can't lift a leg to scratch his eye, he'll rub his face on anything to relieve an itch.

10. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Quote:Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by