Need Help Urgently

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Areeba, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Areeba

Areeba Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Hi all,
    Hope you all are doing well.m new here.I need your advice regarding cochin chicks.I have two chicks one is buff and one is white almost 4weeks old but recently one has got diarrhea he/she is not eating any thing, empty crop.I have tried to feed him/her boiled egg,boiled pasta,chick feed, mash feed, seeds now what should i do?
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Areeba

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    sounds to me like you might need to dropper feed him/her some electrolyte/vitamin water as a first step...like Sav-A-Chick

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Is there any blood in the poop?

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi - Welcome [​IMG]

First thing is Don;t panic - Chicks often get sick and recover. Though some don't thrive whatever you do. Sometimes If you do everything wrong some chicks just do really good as well. I am not an expert on cochin Chicks but there is a Cochin thread on here you might like to follow.

Your chick is in danger of getting dehydrated. YOU must get water into it. Get some infant vitamin drops - they MUST NOT HAVE IRON IN! Then get a small syring from the pharmacy and gently pop it into the corner of the beak and push a few drops out. Keep doing this every say 2 hrs. - The other thing you need to look for is pasty butt - look at your chicks bum sometimes they do a wee poop and it can dry onto their bottom and this causes a block. If your chick has this get a bowl of warm not hot water and a qtip wet it and gently roll it over the chicks butt until the dirt comes off. You will need to think also temperature is your chick too hot or too cold?
    You say you tried a few things to get it to eat. Try some natural Yogurt this is good for your chicks digestion and they do tend to love it. Sometimes if you have a very sick chick - you have to try anything to get it to eat. We gave ours the inside of custard tarts and baby rice!

Not good to keep doing as its not a good diet - salt content needs to be watched! but getting a baby eating something is better than watching it starve.

Hope this is some help

Oesdog

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. Areeba

Oct 31, 2011
    sorry to tell you but today i noticed that there is some blood [​IMG] in his/her poo so is it coccidiosis or something else?i will send yoy some of her/his pics later on today
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Areeba

6. Areeba

Oct 31, 2011
    sorry to tell you but today i noticed that there is some blood [​IMG] in his/her poo so is it coccidiosis or something else?i will send yoy some of her/his pics later on today
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Areeba

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I want to preface this by saying I am not the most experienced person around the block but I had a similar issue with one of my batches this year. 3 silkies had the same issue. I have probiotic powder I use on the kids. I put that and some save a chick in the water. Every half hour or so I was trying to get each one to drink. I did this for 3 days but after the first day already there was no more blood and they were eating again. usually I put the probiotic powder over their eggs but the only thing they were doing was drinking. All mine are doing fine now. I hope yours perk up soon.

8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Is the feed medicated? It wouldn't be a bad idea to get him on the medicated feed, and hold back on all the other goodies as it may "dilute" the medication.
    Chicks are prone to cocci, that is why most of us use the med. Good luck!

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Sounds like coccidiosis. Treat right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by