Need help! vents on a coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sniper338, Dec 21, 2013.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have my quail cages built inside of my shed... it only has two small vents up near the roof on each side right now... when it starts warming up again or we get a hot day it gets extremely hot inside the shed... for example outside its 100 to 110 degrees... so in the shed..... IT GETS HOT!

I have a run attached to the back of the shed... but my breeder cages dont have a part outside the shed... what kind of vents do I need to help keep it cooler. I was thinking a termostate controlled fan to suck or blow air out of the shed... or one blowing air in and another sucking air out...

Am I going about this wrong... I dont want to throw a ton of money into it just wanna make it work..

2. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I know I gotta keep water for em... and I would think quail can be decently hardy to heat... but in cages inside a shed is a different story....

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It might help if you posted some pics. :)

But when it is too hot in the shed, you might just put a big fan right up close to the birds and stir up the air. Adding a mister to mist the birds with water also helps along with the fan blowing to keep them cool. I keep a fan running in my quail aviaries when it gets above 90 degrees. I start misting them when it starts to get close to 100 degrees. Quail can die when it gets even into the low 100's without moving air and misting them down to keep them from over heating.

As for winter, that much venting is fine for quail. They do not require as much ventilation as chickens.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  4. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    [​IMG]

5. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    This is the shed I have. Its 12ft by 12 ft... just has that small 8"x12" vent at the top on front and back...

I have the cages built on the back wall floor hight to Bout 6 ft up 3 levels of cages. The bottom cage at floor level has the attached run on the back thats outside the shed and 12 foot by 3 foot and 3 foot tall

I dont necessarily want to cut a huge hole in the shed because its a nice expensive shed. I keep other stuff in too...

I clean out the poo trays daily when im home... It doesnt stink in the shed yet... ive also keep a flood light on 15 hours a day because the sheds dark inaide when its closed...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You should be able to open those doors, run a fan on them and either install a mister or mist them yourself and keep them cool.

7. RichInPA

RichInPA Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2013
    Cut the ridge out with a circ saw, then install a ridge vent, I prefer cobra. Will do wonders.

8. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas

Im in south texas. Cold itsnt a problem... its the heat when it starts warming up again...

Im thinking about some vent fans or something on the sides...

9. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas

That would be ideal but way more work than I was wanting to do hahaha

10. RichInPA

RichInPA Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2013
    Will take ya 15-30 mins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by