Need help w new coop construction

nicksondag

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2017
Manito, IL
Hello! I've always been in love with animals and raised chickens when I was little. About 1 1/2 months ago my gf and I were walking around Big R looking at seeds for our garden and they had chicks available... oh great.. within seconds of seeing it she was begging me for it.. So we got 1 White Leghorn, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Ameracauna. We kept them in a tote as that was perfect for three tony chicks. Three weeks pass by and she decides she wants more so we could take chicken eggs to our farmer markets. (When your girlfriend wants something she gets it), we got 7 more chicks.... 4 wlh, 2 br, 1 isa brown. Over the last nearly two months of owning them I've spent hours upon hours researching chickens so I could provide them the life they deserve since I agreed to take on the responsibility of owning them. After that recent purchase of 7, we had 10 chickens so I got an old metal water trough and that was a great size up until recently. It was too crowded having the three older ones being around 6 weeks old. Here's where I need help from you guys! I'm on a tint budget right now.. like super tight. I picked up some pallets to make a really cheap temporary coop for the three bigger ones right now. It's decent. It has a few roosts for them, a box to get familiar with it, and a big fence around it for a decent run. A little bit of rain got in last night from a bad rain storm and temps have been around 45-50 at night. Is that too cold? SO anyways I need help with ideas for the cheapest possible coop to home 10 chickens, PLEASE include a run!

That's the inside, but I have straw in there now of course.

Are you planing on covering the gaps in the floor? For one predators and 2 bedding. Chickens can easily hurt their feet on something like that. What size run and are you looking for open run or enclosed?

Also with 10 hens you will need 1 more nest box and maybe a perch to enter it.looks a little crowded for 10 birds. Is there a pop door for them to enter? Did you sand the floor pallets? Chickens can get splinters in their feet. There's tons of ideas on this site. Do a little searching. Good luck and welcome to this awesome community

Last edited:
Yes! This is only supposed to be in use for another week or so. I'd like an enclosed run. This one is only meant to hold three 6 week old hens for one week till I get a nice coop. The nest box right now is just for them to get used to it, as they have awhile before they'll be laying. Thanks for the tips and response!

Yes! This is only supposed to be in use for another week or so. I'd like an enclosed run. This one is only meant to hold three 6 week old hens for one week till I get a nice coop. The nest box right now is just for them to get used to it, as they have awhile before they'll be laying. Thanks for the tips and response!
oh OK if only for a week but the floor still needs to be smooth with no gaps unless you want little broken chicken legs.

Back
Top Bottom