NEED HELP w/SICK CHICK! Powdered Corid question....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HugHess, Nov 2, 2014.

1. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Can you add powdered Corid to a batch of already mixed Save-a-Chick solution???
    I am trying to dose one ill chick and safe guard the other three...trying to get them to drink from two seperate bowls feels like too much to cover my bases.
    ANY advice will be GRATEFULLY appreciated. This chick stole my heart as she plopped from her shell and this is 'killing' me as sure as her ailment is killing her. Help me please. I cannot find any info here...sleep deprevation is not helping...
    I forgot to mention that I have been syringe feeding my ill chick, alternating between Corid and Sav-A-Chick...also gave her a direct drop, po, (by mouth) of VetRx when I first found her lethargic and relatively unresponsive at about 12:30 this morning...immediately starting electrolytes and had to wait until TSC opened this morning because, for the life of me, I cannot find the bag I bought weeks ago! Won't ever make that mistake again!
    The last time I lost a chick I consoled myself by putting 40+ more eggs in the 'bator...! Can you imagine what I could be capable of if I were to lose this little sweet-pea!?!?
    I need an overdose of sanity here! OK, back to syringe and 'Baby'...
    Thank you in advance...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would not; it's not supposed to be mixed with anything but water, as I understand it.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How old are these chicks?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2
    Corid is a thiamine blocker. Save-A-Chick contains thiamine and would be counterproductive treating cocci. I recommend that you treat all your chicks with corid only. No need to give them safeguard if they are under 8 weeks old.

1 person likes this.
  5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS

Enola, they are two weeks old today...

6. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    ETA: Is anyone one else having issues trying to post? Must 'just b me'!

7. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Safeguard? I haven't given that. I don't even recall what that is...

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You mentioned safe guard in your first post; giving it in a bowl to three other chicks. Safeguard is a wormer.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't think she meant the medication Safeguard. She meant safe guarding them from the bowl of corid water. Maybe?

1 person likes this.
  10. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Lol! I meant that in the generic sense...at least I now know of another wormer! Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by