1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help washing quail eggs to incubate?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 1shotcleaner, Jun 26, 2011.

1. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    i just got 50 filthy eggs from a friend and would like to incubate them but they are very dirty. how do i go about washing them? iv never had really dirty eggs before. i keep my birds nicer than he does. if you know what and how to clean them please tell me. thank you in advance.

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:this says all I need to know, I say pickle his eggs and raise your own eggs/birds [​IMG]

other than that, I have heard, dilute bleach solution. ~ 1 minute at 110- 120 degrees

I do not incubate the really dirty ones. my .02

3. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i was chicken eggs because i'm a poop freak, but quail shells are soooo thin!

when i do my chicken eggs, i use running warm(almost hot) water, and the ultra soft tooth brush. gently rub away the muck and hope for the best...
    Good luck
    Sib

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I washed a batch this spring in 105 degree water with Brinsea's egg wash/disinfectant. They were pretty dirty going in. I put them in a bowl of the solution, left for 2 minutes, gently stirring most of the time. Then, I rinsed them under running water of the same temp, and put them back into a fresh bowl of the solution. I scrubbed at a few with the worst spots. I didn't rinse after the second wash.

Had the best quail hatch ever. Been washing turkey eggs and having good results too.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can take a dry cloth and scub some scum off but I would stick them in the bator. Unless you know they are not fresh....

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Run some very warm water over them as you scrub the poop away (even with a Scotch-Brite pad while doing so) . I did this about a month ago on ~160 Bob eggs, and even after passing them from my bator to somebody elses several miles away 6 days before hatch-out, the hatch was still 80% successful. And these chicks hatched against even more odds than egg washing!

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Personally I Am A Purist... Set Them The Way Momma Left 'em

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:THATS HOW i ROLL TOO BUT i BUILT ROLL OUT PENS the first quail that ever stared at the egg rolling away cracked me up LOL

9. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i just recently tried using a very light sand paper on a batch of very dirty bantam eggs. every egg hatched. 12 for 12. i sanded them pretty good on a few leaving even sandpaper marks. either way i didnt do enough damage to the eggs to effect the pores or developing embrio. i would use this method on my japanese quail eggs however i dont get dirty quail eggs hardly ever. chicken eggs all the time. but i get to the quail in time. im sure a light sand would do the trick. just be gentle.

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Duck eggs can get pretty bad [​IMG] with mud and rain chicken too. But I don't see how hard it is to keep quail cages clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by