Need help: Water candled bad eggs need to break broody hens.

Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
I have 3 muscovy that have become so broody that some of their hatchlings were left to fend for themselves once they hopped out of the nest. I took them in and put them with Stevie, one that i had to take in due to health issues. The nest was in a kiddie pool so I am wondering if that was a bad idea since it has a side and the babies may get out but can't get back in. However, I know that some ducks make their nests in high places so I don't really know. Two hens laid their eggs in the pool and seemed to like it. 3 of the eggs hatched and 4 others went bad. I would often come in and find that, although they were sitting, there eggs had scooted out from under them. Maybe it was too big of a nest. It did have what I thought to be plenty of bedding but the hens would clear it out from under them down to the bottom of the pool making the eggs less stationary for sitting. I may could put some board in the pool to seperate it into 4 sections.
*How do I deal with hens that still want to stay in their eggless nests? Will they come back to these nesting areas to lay knowing that I took their precious eggs from there? I have dog crates in the coop that I can lock them in to keep them off the nests. I have seen youtubers break broodiness this way but the crate was not in the coop. I really don't want to make my hens hate me knowing that I took their eggs, but it is time for them to get out and get some fresh air. They have been going to the nest since early to mid April. It's time.
I took one mom off the nest and closed her out of the coop in Hope's that she would go for a swim. No such luck, she is outside the door.
Any advice would be very appreciated.

So should I just close the coop for the day then? Neither of the other two hens are going into the coop at night. I am trying to coop train them by feeding them only in the coop. I have given them a snack in the morning because they have come begging. I will take the snack away if they continue to refuse to go to the coop to see if that works.
The hens are outside the coop clearly upset that they are shut out. Will this ruin them from going into the coop to lay?

So should I just close the coop for the day then? Neither of the other two hens are going into the coop at night. I am trying to coop train them by feeding them only in the coop. I have given them a snack in the morning because they have come begging. I will take the snack away if they continue to refuse to go to the coop to see if that works.
The hens are outside the coop clearly upset that they are shut out. Will this ruin them from going into the coop to lay?
Broody hens don't lay eggs....Collect the eggs daily and destroy the nests each time you collect eggs.

Broody hens don't lay eggs....Collect the eggs daily and destroy the nests each time you collect eggs.
I understand. I was just concerned that if they saw me removing their nests that they may go find somewhere hidden, not the coop, to lay to keep me from getting their eggs, like under the barn. We blocked the holes under house, which is where 3 hens went to lay, 37 ducklings later:th I want eggs, not ducklings at this time anyway. I've had enough duckling drama to last me a while.
The hens went broody after they figured out that their eggs kept disappearing. If that happens again and they begin sitting each time they lay an egg what should I do? Just continue taking the eggs from under her? I have seen on YouTube when a hen goes broody they are taken out of the coop and put in a pet carrier for a time. Not sure how long it would take to break the broodiness. How long does it usually take to break broodiness? I have taken one nesting box and washed it out. Now for the pool. The hens from that nest are anxiously waiting outside the coop. They are a clearly upset.
Btw, I used the kiddie pool because the hens wanted to lay underneath an inaccessible area. I tied twine to it so that I could pull it in and out to collect eggs. They weren't using the nesting boxes provided and crawling:oops: under a 5 ft deep shelf was not an option for me. I may reuse the pool again after they break their broodiness just to make egg collection easier. But I will not use it for sitting hens again. For the time being I will fill that large hiding spot with bags of pine shavings and anything else that I can find.
Definitely need to do a coop redesign. This one was already here at our late 1800's farm. It may be ok for chickens, which I don't have, but my muscovy hens prefer to lay on the ground, rather than in one of the 10 existing nesting boxes. I did have success with a hen laying in a tote that I modified with a door access.

Back
Top Bottom