Need Help, What Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rynn, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Rynn

Rynn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Hi I Have 3 hens, they are all Black but when you get close the feathers have a blue/green tint on them they are very pretty. I don't know what breed they are as I am English living in France altho I know some French my language skills did not reach so far as to ask the lady at the weekly market what they were. I also rescued 2 Roosters from another English lady who had decided they couldn't be bothered with them.
    I know its not usually a great idea to have so many Roosters to so Little Hens but as the English lady explained they never fight and seem to be very attached to each other so to seperate them would be too cruel. One Rooster has very unusual coloring.
    How do I post the pics? sorry Im a newbie.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
  3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I personally like to upload pics to a hosting site (photobucket.com is what I use). If you use a hosting site, after you upload the pics, copy and paste the img code into your posts.

4. Rynn

Rynn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    [​IMG]
    This is the Rooster, Not the best of pics but you can see the coloring.
    I will get a good pic of the Hens and post later.

5. Dustin Biery

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Hard to tell, if possible get closer pics. But from what I can see, looks like a speckled sussex.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Not a speckled sussex. The bird is a spangle, and by his shape i can't get any breeds really. I think he's a cross..

7. Dustin Biery

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    LOL, not going to get much for the difference in spangle and speckled, different breeds called a different variety. He may be young and hasn't come into adult feathers yet, but as I already said, its hard to tell from that picture.

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:When i said spangle i was meaning more of the spangle shown in games, you can see in the picture he is lemon-hackled, so maybe a wheaten base? Not exactly the typical dark red color featured in sussex. It could be possible in sussex i guess "since i don't know them that much" but i've never seen one come so light even in bad quality.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  9. Rynn

Rynn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Hi Thanks for the comments, Ive been away for a few weeks I will get some closer pics today and post ASAP.
    I rescued the Roosters from a lady who has had them for a year but she was given them by a friend so the age is unknown but at least 2 years old.

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    dont know what he is but he sure has nice coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by