1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help: what is my hen suffering from?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickyKate6, Mar 1, 2017.

1. First time poster, long time lurker here! My girl Wynona, our Wyandotte, has never had a super red, bright crown but there seems to be something up with her - I tried to take good clear pictures but as you know that's tough!

It looks like her comb and all face/wattle skin is chapped or bumpy, looking pale or whitish.

I don't think it's frostbite (we live in Northern California, it's been cold at night lately but not too bad) but maybe a fungus.

Any and all help and advice is appreciated!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. Here are a few more pictures of her that may be helpful
    g[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

How old is she?
    Does she lay eggs?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    Is she showing any other symptoms like lethargy, not eating/drinking, etc.?

She does look a little pale - is this after she has laid an egg. Depending on her age, she may be starting to molt - this can cause the comb to pale and shrink a bit.

Wyandottes have a rose comb, which should have a few peaks and valleys or look a bit "bumpy". If the comb seems a bit dry or chapped you can apply a little dab of coconut or castor oil on the comb.

http://www.typesofchicken.com/9-types-combs-chickens/

1 person likes this.
  4. Hi and thank you for your questions!

She is about 2 years old, and she is a good layer with decent consistency - my flock of 4 (all different breeds) have just started laying regularly again following some cold and wet winter weather from about early January until a week or so ago.

We feed them layer feed (crumble, with oyster shell) and also give them chicken treat (scratch?) as well as fresh spinach mostly since we don't have much grass for them. When it's warm out, their favorite treat is watermelon - they go crazy for it!

I don't think she has shown any behavorial differences - but based on your notes, I'm thinking she's looking less flushed due to the uptick in her egg production. She's also been looking a little less "beefy" or big as she has, but I feel like I notice that with some of them as they're ramping up egg laying again (or molting).

I didn't even consider that her comb naturally would have some roughness to it (whew!), but I'll try giving her some soothing oils.

So generally speaking, it sounds like I'm henny-pennying over this [​IMG]

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It won't hurt to watch her for several days - just observe to see that she is eating/drinking well. Check her crop at night and first thing in the am, give her a look over for lice/mites, etc.

I henny-penny over mine all the time, so no worries there[​IMG] The more familiar you are with how each one looks/behaves the more quickly you can spot if something is amiss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by