Need Help! What is the best egg layer/meat bird?

Leatherwood

Hatching
Mar 23, 2015
My brother and grandfather plan to get chickens this spring. My grandfather wants ones that lay a ton of eggs but are big and very good eating.
Now, I am have no experience with chickens but I am going to assume that it leans either one way or the other. So I have made in order of most important to least important to help me find out the best breed that fits the requirements.

#1 Good Egg Layer
#2 Meduim-Large eggs
#3 good tasting meat
#4 easy breed for beginners ( if this could even be a category idk)

Answer :?

Also, I would like to make another list from most important to least and I would like to know what breed you would answer with this requirement in order.

#1 Good Egg layer
#2 Easy, hardy docile breed
#3 Large eggs
#4 good tasting meat.

Answer?

Bonus question: If I was going to get a big long feathered beautiful rooster to crow in the morning, what breed would you point me to?

Thanks in advance for all who reply!

I would think that any of the dual purpose breeds that are bred for utility by a good breeder would fit the bill. I don't think Hatchery chickens will provide the type of carcass you're looking for for meat, but would lay pretty well.

I would suggest finding some chicken breeders in your area and take a look at them. I would suggest starting with New Hampshires, Delaware's, Rocks, but other well bred dual purpose breeds would work as well. There seem to be a good amount of breeders out there that you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Pretty Roosters and crowing in the morning is subjective. I really like how the New Hampshire's look, but my favorite looking has got to be the Brown Leghorn with a Gold Duckwing Cubalaya a close second.

Black Australorps!! When bought 2 full grown to raise our chicks and they ended up just laying for us. But we got a dozen a week until molt from them!! And they are BIG...

Haven't been able to find any results as to how much time/feed it takes to get them to market weight and how the carcass is laid out. Any results to share?

The Bielefelder lays a xl egg and 200 + eggs per year, roosters top out 10-12 lbs. beautiful birds to look at and the roos are very laid back and gentle. Taste is subjective. There will be as many opinions on the best breed as there are responses to you inquiry.

The Bielefelder lays a xl egg and 200 + eggs per year, roosters top out 10-12 lbs. beautiful birds to look at and the roos are very laid back and gentle. Taste is subjective. There will be as many opinions on the best breed as there are responses to you inquiry.

I'm not the OP, specifically interested in Bielefelder's as I've been researching them and your post history seems to indicate you have plenty of first hand experience.

Do you know roughly how much they weigh at say, 12 weeks? That would be an ideal butchering time for my purposes if they would dress at 5~lb.

Last edited:
I'm not the OP, specifically interested in Bielefelder's as I've been researching them and your post history seems to indicate you have plenty of first hand experience.

Do you know roughly how much they weigh at say, 12 weeks? That would be an ideal butchering time for my purposes if they would dress at 5~lb.

They would need to go about 18 weeks to net a 5 lb. carcass. They do not start laying until 24-28 weeks.

I'd pick Barred Rocks (or White Rocks if you like white birds) for all of your questions. They're easy to find, lay pretty well, and can be used for meat as well. I also think they'd be a good fit for a beginning breeder, although chances are hatchery stock won't go broody. Maybe check into New Hampshire Reds, too.

Back
Top Bottom