1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help! what kind of chicken is this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by andythib83, Feb 25, 2009.

1. andythib83

andythib83 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Church Point, Louisiana
    I am from Louisiana, and we celebrated Mardi Gras this weekend. Where I am from its not all about the floats, its about the tradition of the chicken chases and gumbo. Well I caught a chicken and decided to keep him as a pet, but I know nothing about what kind it is? If any one can help please do. This is a picture of him. And if anyone has any helpful hints to raise my first chicken, I would be thankful.

[​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Whatever it is, it needs a friend!! You have to get more now!

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Its a mutt chicken . IS it living in your house ??
    Its a SHE not a HE by the way lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks like a mix. [​IMG]

5. andythib83

Feb 25, 2009
    Church Point, Louisiana
    I guess I put he by mistake. And no it not in the house anymore. I just had it inside our dog cage till I could build a little coup for it.

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she very big? Might be a bantam mix.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, just a cute little mixed hen, but very pretty all the same! Find her another friend or two, for some reason they seem to like odd numbers ... a bag of feed and some kind of waterer that is on a cement block or something like, so the water stays clean.

There's no magic formula, they do just fine most of the time. You can settle in and read up on the 'learning center' up at the top of the site page, and look over the various coops and ideas. Most people overdo, but have a lot of fun doing it!!! enjoy your Mardi Gras chook!!! What a neat thing!! It must be really good luck to 'catch the chicken'!

[edit] Glad you didn't have to use her in the gumbo!!! better a years worth of eggs than a days worth of gumbo!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  8. andythib83

Feb 25, 2009
    Church Point, Louisiana
    thanks for the help everyone:D[​IMG]

9. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Does New Orleans still have feral chickens running around, or did Hurricane Katrina wipe out the population? I know at one time they were fairly common in some areas.

10. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Be sure to keep her safe from predators. Read posts, because this was one of our first mistakes when we got started. How was the Gumbo? Yummmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by