Need help - when do people REALLY become adults???

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Kelly G, May 17, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Our oldest daughter just turned 18. She thinks she is suddenly an adult and deserves to be treated to all the priveleges of adulthood.

She is mistaken.

I want to make her a book (on Shutterfly) with pictures of her growing up years - and filled with things that define people as adults...

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

You are an adult when you are paying your own way. No one pays for your cell phone, your car insurance, or your interenet.

You are an adult when someone doesn't have to buy you something so you have a gift to give to one of your loved ones. For example...Fathers' Day. It would be nice if you got a card, a small gift, wrapped it yourself, and gave that gift to your Dad.

You are an adult when you put other peoples needs before your selfish wants.

You are an adult when you care about someone more than you care about yourself. Really.

What things can you guys add? There are so many - I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You're an adult when you can look back and say "you were RIGHT mom! "
    You're an adult when you finally understand WHY your parents told you NO so many times growing up.

3. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Your an adult when the Purse strings are cut.., When the only thing you ask for from me is.. advice.

4. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

This is good stuff! This is exactly what I'm looking for!! More, please!

5. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    The hallmark of being an adult is simply accepting that there are consequences to your actions and you are responsible for dealing with those consequences.

That means the day you look your mom in the eye and tell her that she is wrong and will no longer be getting her way, you'd better be paying rent.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    In the early 20's since the frontal lobe is not completely developed until that time. The frontal lobes are involved in motor function, problem solving, spontaneity, memory, language, initiation, judgement, impulse control, and social and sexual behavior.

7. chickenofthesea

chickenofthesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    C.C. Florida
    Being an adult means when you ask for an opinion, and get one you don't like, it does not give you the right to be angry about it.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Welcome to my world - 19, 20 and 20. The 19 year old has it figured out. The two 20 year olds are about to get bounced right outta the house.

9. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    At 27 and a mom to 4.5 kids and I still dont feel like an adult half the time.....I like toe socks,cookie crisp and coloring books way too much LMAO.But at 18 I was sure I was all grown up...and now I laugh at the dumbness that I was spewing. She will grow out of the "I am freeeeeeeeee " phase eventually.

10. littlefarm_bighappy

littlefarm_bighappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    I knewI was an adult when at age 34 I called my Mom crying and apologizing for every mean and critical thing I had said to her.

She was 23 when she had me, a recent immigrant, and very very alone. She made a lot of mistakes I was hard on her for.

I have forgiven her and taken her mistakes as valuable lessons in raising my own little ones.

FWIW, she calls me for advice now. I was out of the house and on my *own*... no help... at age 17. Paid my own way thru college as a teenage mom. (no, no welfare)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by