Need help: where should a ramp go?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by and-roo, Feb 16, 2016.

1. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the rabbit hutch that I'm turning into a chicken coop for our new house when we move:
    [​IMG]
    (I know its dirty, but I used the left half as a brooder last two springs)
    It's about 2.5 ft. Off the ground and I have two options:
    1. Cut the legs shorter (about half), cut a door out of one side, and build a ramp going down from there.
    2. Cut a hole in the bottom and make a long ramp going down underneath it.
    What I wanna know is, has anyone made a ramp like this underneath? I've tried to find pictures but haven't had much luck. If anyone can post pictures of their ramps from underneath their coops or if you have found pictures of something like it, I would totally appreciate it. I need some inspiration!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

I've seen photos with the ramps underneath the coop, as you describe. You may just need to teach your chickens how to use it (put scratch or treats on the ramp). I'm sure there must be photos in the coop section?

Seems like it would be easier to lop off the legs a bit, but I'm lazy by nature! [​IMG]

All the best

CT

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If I were doing this, I would go with a method that let me put a door in one of the vertical walls, both so I didn't lose floor space and so I wouldn't take up space under the coop that the chickens could use for shade/rain. Just a thought.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

1 person likes this.
  7. and-roo

Thanks you all! Although I like the idea of a chicken tractor, we're moving into a smaller almost suburban type house :( so they're going to have to stay in one spot, but I am thinking I should keep it as high as it is for easy access and for space under the coop. I did find some good examples of a ramp underneath and I think I'll do that, the challenge is just figuring out where to put it and how to make it so that it can close...

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That will really reduce the already very small amount of floor space you already have.

9. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

10. and-roo

The floor now is about 3x6 (I took out the divider and all the other wire stuff) so it's actually kinda big... and I don't plan on having too many chickens, maybe 5, no more than 6. My coop now is bigger, but the floor is 4x4 and I have 13 chickens... so I don't think it's that big of a problem.

Hokum coco, trying to figure out just HOW to put a door underneath gives me a headache. I'm definitely going to make the run bigger than just underneath the coop, there's no way they would only get that small space. The coop I have now has that guillotine type door that works perfectly, but I don't wanna make a ramp going out the side if I'm going to leave it at the height it is...I'm just making it harder for myself. I think I'm gonna ask my dad what he thinks and we can work on it together...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by