Need help with 2 Broody hens and a Roo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 2 silky hens who have gone super broody...been sitting for 11 days now (half way there) They are in a pen with the Rooster. He has been good to them, and even sitting on the eggs a couple of times.

But today I walked into the coop (their pen is open to outside) and there was one of their eggs half eaten, and another egg with a serious crack in it and the chick still alive [​IMG]

I am not sure how the half eaten one got out of the pen because there is a 4 inch ledge they have to step over to get out. Can he carry an egg in his beak?

anyway...so I go in this evening and I see the Roo harassing the girls.

So I got a big cage and put it in the pen that has a door on it...I opened it enough so that they can get in and out, but not him.

I moved their eggs and it took them about 5 minutes of telling me off before they settled down on the new location.

I am not sure what the heck I am doing. He has been so good the first half of incubation, should I separate them completely from the Roo???

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I would separate them. I needed to do that with my silkie roo he was not only moving the eggs but after they hatched he was killing the chicks. He may want his girls back and doesn't want them sitting.

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Thank you...

I will will have to figure out how to separate them completely as this is the only space I have for them...the other space has 11 Red Stars, and my 3rd space is empty as I am expecting 13 more birds on Wednesday...

but yes I think he must have broken the egg in the scuttle and then ate it [​IMG] sigh

Not sure if the set I have now will really work. I should go check on them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by