Need help with 3 day old chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keri, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Keri

Keri New Egg

Oct 30, 2007
    CT
    Hi! I am fairly new to this forum and to the chicken world. A few months ago I got 7 adult chickens, 3 black sex-linked, 2 silkies, and 2 polish bantams. A month ago, I was given 3 bantam babies. My sister-in-law loved my chicken family, we just had to order new babies.

The new babies arrived yesterday morning. We ordered 25, they shipped 28. Only one didn't survive the flight from NM to CT. We were so impressed with Privett Hatchery.

This morning when checking on them I saw one baby, a polish bantam, who was just not waking up and moving around. I picked her up and she can barely open her eyes and is very wobbly. She keeps laying back down, doesn't matter where she is. I was able to get her to drink a bit, no eating though. I have her in a little sock nest inside my bra to keep her warm.

The temp inside the brooder is 100 degrees and none of the other babies are acting like this, so I am pretty sure it isn't a temperature thing.

My question is, what else should I be doing besides keeping her warm and offering water and food frequently? I have done this with all kinds of other animals including birds, and have been fairly successful. I can honestly say that this is the first chicken I have ever carried around inside my bra!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Keri

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Has it been eating? if not try some warm starter mixed with water to soften it up. I have fed mine this before when they were tiny and they made it. Sometimes stress from being shipped will do them in and ther isnt anything you can do to stop it. There might be something else wrong with it and its just nature. I would try to feed it and see if that helps any.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Or even some sigar water to perk her up a bit. I have a had a couple like that that didnt do well, but you cant give up yet. Some were shipped, and some hatched here....

Good luck with her and the rest of them. And welcome.

4. Keri

Keri New Egg

Oct 30, 2007
    CT
    Thank you both for responding! I tried both suggestions. She did drink a bit of sugar water, but still will not eat. One of her legs doesn't seem to be working right, maybe early splayed legs? She really can't walk without falling over. She will fall if she turns her head to far. When she pooped, it was very watery, not surprising with the lack of food, but it looks like there is a little spot of blood.

She is much perkier now, but all the other symptoms have me concerned. I'm much too stubborn to give up on her! I only take her out of my shirt to offer food and water! She has already been to the convenience store today!

If she is splay legged, then what?

Thanks!

Keri

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My last hatch I had one that sounds very much like yours. I finally put her down because I think it was something neurological. I fed her for several days and she just never improved. Not something I like to do, but sometimes there's something wrong that no amount of TLC can cure.

6. Keri

Keri New Egg

Oct 30, 2007
    CT
    Oh, I know. If she doesn't improve and is suffering, I will put her down, no question. We just had to go through that with one of our horses. Devastating, but not optional. We will see how far time and tlc take us.

Thanks!

Keri

7. Keri

Keri New Egg

Oct 30, 2007
    CT
    Sadly, about 10 minutes ago my baby chick died. She started to really go down hill about an hour ago so I knew then that she was not going to make it. My poor girl... But I am glad that she is no longer suffering.

So, thanks for all the advice. Hopefully, I will not need that type of advice again!

Keri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by