Need help with 3 week old silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Irene, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Irene

Irene Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Help! I purchased 4 silkies at a local feed store. They said they were 3 weeks old. I am not a newcomer to raising chickens or guineas, however, the day after getting the silkies, one had been picked on, and it obviously had pasty butt. I removed the one chicken and have been placing warm water over the vent, blow drying the area around it, and then putting on some bag balm. The little one has been pooping much better and eating up a storm. However, she appears to have a slight sneeze today. What can I do now to abate that problem in one so young? Obviously, even though I tried to do right, she probably caught a little chill. I need help ASAP. She is under a 60 watt bulb in her own little container, which, I try not to keep too hot that she pants, but warm.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    If you're asking about the sneezing, it should be fine. If you are using pine bedding or something, the dust can make them sneeze.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    or event he dust from the food can make them sneeze. put some vitamins in the water if your concerned. I would dust the butt with cornstarch or baby powder to keep the poo from sticking.

4. Irene

Irene Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Is there another compatible breed of bantam to put in with my singleton 3 week old silkie -- that is growth stunted from pasty butt from the feed store where I bought her? Or, is it too late to put another 2-3 week old chicken in with her? One that won't pick on her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by