Need help with 7 day old chick.(Updated with new pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wolfbaine30, Dec 28, 2008.

1. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    I just hatched out some RIR chicks on 12/21/08.My question is this.I have this one chick,(the one off by itself in the right bottom corner of pic),that seems to me has a bum leg.When it walks,it holds it's right leg staight out like it cant bend it,holds both of it's wings straight out,then wobbles like a peguin to get to wear its going.It seems to be doing fine,other than the fact that it's also the smalliest.What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Hmmm....sounds like a runt...not sure about the leg though. Doesn't sound like spraddle leg. I would just keep an extra close eye on him and make sure he's getting enough to eat and drink. Those little ones can sometimes get bullied out of food and water. If you do see bullying, separate him in a different brooder(I always pick a buddy for them--a gentle easy going chick) to brood with so they won't get lonely, but that's only if you see bullying. Sorry--I can't help you with the leg. I have a BO roo that was born with a leg defect(knees bow in), but he gets around just fine. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and he's now 10 months old. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. wolfbaine30

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    Thanks for repling.As of so far it has been getting around all right I guess,and it does get plenty ot eat and drink.My g/f said if doesnt look like it will make it outside,then it will become the house chicken.LOL..Forget the pitbull.....Beware the House CHicken!!![​IMG]

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    LOL!!! [​IMG] He's cute just the same! [​IMG]

5. lilarabookworm

lilarabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Quote:can you get a picture of just that one chick with a close up of its leg? it might help people figure out this problem.
    [​IMG]

6. wolfbaine30

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    Well here are the pics of just the one.As you can see it does it with both legs....beats me as to what can be wrong with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And pics of its feet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your help guys and gals...lol

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

did he happen to be the last to hatch,, or did it take him a long time from pip to hatch?
    my last chick to hatch ( every week here) does that,, almost like they stayed in the shell to long and now cant mover their leg.

8. wolfbaine30

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    I'm not real sure if it was the last to hatch or not.I had to help a few out,but dont know if it was 1 of them.The hatch in general for all wasn't over 24 hrs. [​IMG]

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

well ,, hmmm,,, then hard telling why or what it is,, can you gently bend his leg, or is it "stuck" out straight,,,, if it will bend without much effort, i would start "exercising" it when ya pick him up,, his doesnt look like its in his "hips" like mine, mine seem almost like their hips are out of joint,,, if his leg wont bend,, welcome to the "i have a "special" bird" club hehe [​IMG]

10. wolfbaine30

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    His legs will bend,but its like it dont want to bend them.As for the "special chicken" part,well....lol,it already is.G/f has done said that if it doesnt seem like its going to be able to make outside,well then it becomes the house chicken.Now tell me that wouldnt be spoiling it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by