Need help with a backed up chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NiceTrash, Apr 23, 2017.

1. NiceTrash

NiceTrash New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    Hello BYC community. I have a 2.5 week old Rhode Island Red chick that has been having trouble passing excrement for about the last week. In the last 3 or 4 days the vent has become increasingly more swollen and red and pulses nonstop. The chick is still active and seems relatively happy. We have been doing warm water baths once or twice a day for 3 days which allow the chick to poop for a while thereafter but the symptoms seem to persist. The chicks are beginning to molt as well so the behind of the chick has become bald from the constant baths and warm rag massages, but the other chicks don't seem to peck at it. I also have the brood separated with chicken wire and the problem chick isolated with one other friendly chick and have been feeding them a chick crumble/ water/ olive oil mash for the last 24 hours. Chicks have had probiotic electrolyte water since i got them. Symptoms persisted today just as bad.
    Does this seem to be constipation causing inflammation, or could it be an infection that is causing the vent to swell and make the pooping difficult? Should i keep the chick completely isolated? What are my best options to continue on? I feel like the constant baths are not helping and the butt is already bare. I have heard feeding olive oil through an eye dropper, I have heard giving a olive oil enema with an eye dropper, I've also heard preperation h and neosporin as well. What is good or bad? I know they make chick-constipation medecine. Is there a good brand of this medication anyone can recommend? Any information would be greatly appreciated! My chicken Baby thanks you in advance! [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In addition to the probiotics, they could benefit from chick grit.

What have they been eating since hatch?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. NiceTrash

NiceTrash New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    they have all been started on chick grit as of last night! Thank you for the quick reply. Tried to get her to eat baby prune food too but she wasn't havin it. They have all been eating naturewise medicated starter feed since I got them at about a week old two weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by