need help with a dog foot injury!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TeamChaos, Nov 14, 2010.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Jack the dog has been licking his paw all evening, I finally got him to let me take a look at it and I cannot figure out for the life of me what happened to his pad! I soaked it and dried it really well, put some vetricyn on it and a loose bandage for the time being.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The photo quality isn't great because Jack, the big baby, got too nervous anytime I came near him with the digital camera so I had to rely on my cell phone.

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I talked with DW and she says she would get the dog to a vet for some antibiotics. Also to keep it wrapped with ointment to help in healing. Hope this helps.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I agree they may want to keep an eye on that one. Looks really bad. They may even pack if for it to heal inside out.

4. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    I am still trying to figure out what he did to it and when... I'm assuming it's some kind of traumatic injury as the top layer of pad looks sliced off in places, as opposed to a food allergy deal (i've had dogs that licked their feet due to allergies in the past, but none of them ATE part of their foot, so i feel comfortable ruling that out). I don't think it's a chemical burn and I can't imagine where it'd come from...
    Yes, poor J-bird will have a day off from (farm) work tomorrow while we see the vet.

5. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    twice my dog had pad issues... once the heat in arizona, and him walking on pavement caused them to blister, and the pad to rip off. The second time was from running on pavement for too long, and the pad ripped off [​IMG] I don't know if your dog has done anything similar lately? It might also be some sort of autoimmune thing... either way try to keep it as clean as possible and try to get to the vet.

6. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    New Skin would help keep it covered while it heals. You can get it at Wal-Mart. I use it on the end of my dogs' tails when they smack them too hard and start bleeding, sigh.....
    Slinky

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Just checking in on the posts.

8. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    well, he didn't get in to see the vet today (long story) but I'll try again tomorrow. He's stopped licking it and will tolerate a bandage until one of the other dogs notices it and makes a game out of yanking it [​IMG] The vetricyn seems like a good broad spectrum treatment but I'm going to look into the Nu-skin; I've used it on myself with good luck, so hopefully he'll tolerate it too.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Looks like a bite from a snake or spider, it's good he can keep it clean it will heal much faster that way.

Hope he's back on all his feet soon.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'd put some NuStock on it and wrap it for a day or two, cover with old tube sock and secure it. See if that doesn't help and it could save you a vet bill. After a couple of days, I'd leave it open to air and to the dog's licking....speeds the healing if they can lick it.

Love that NuStock!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by