Need help with a female bully

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by boosterpacksmom, Jun 17, 2016.

1. boosterpacksmom

boosterpacksmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    My oldest 3 ducks, 2 female pekins and a make saxony are kept together. Pete (girl pekin) is mean to Bernie, my saxony drake. Booster pack, my other female Pekin is not. Yes I'm sure both pekins are female. The interesting thing is Pete is only mean and goes after Bernie when booster pack is also around, which is all the time, just have separated them for this experiment. I've only ever seen Bernie mate with booster pack and he obviously doesn't care for Pete. Why does Pete only attack Bernie when she's with her friend? Are they competing for Bernie or something? The girls are inseparable and Bernie is my daughters favorite duck so i don't know what to do.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Take a deep breath. Duck relationships are really hard to figure out sometimes. But they do change. Some folks have had success in putting a temporary divider in the pen and swapping duck buddies around a bit.

Treats may help also . . . this is an area where I don't think there are any good guidelines because it really seems to depend on the individual ducks.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    X2

Also do they have enough space?

4. boosterpacksmom

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I believe so there's 3 of them and they have constant access to a 20' by 22' fenced outside area and can always go to inside their 12' by 8' indoor area.

5. boosterpacksmom

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    The youngest 3 I just got Wednesday so are still going to be in the house for a while. If Petes ways don't change I'm worried they may be inside forever though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by