Need Help with a metal roof! Correct trim pieces?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DirtyPig, Feb 16, 2012.

1. DirtyPig

DirtyPig New Egg

Jan 13, 2012
    First off, I have a really small backyard in close proximity to my neighbors, inside of a strict home owners association... Now that we've got that out of the way, I want to build a nice looking coop with a metal roof. I've searched through hundreds of coops and used google to find information on metal roofs, but there isn't much out there? What kind of trim to you use for the bottom edge, the sides, top, and hips? Does anyone have pictures of their metal roofs and can explain how and where to get the parts and install it correctly? Thanks for your help!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Are you thinking like Pole Barn Steel Roof? If so, any lumber yard that sells the steel will also have all the trim available. It comes in 10' lenghts or longer and can be cut with a circular saw using a steel cutting blade. Ware goggles and long sleeves etc for protection when cutting. Hope this helps.

3. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Is not hard and you can use tin snips to cut it. I build metal buildings for a living. Find a local metal building supplier. You will find a few. Go and ask them. They will help you. I would think a simple angle trim should work. Make sure you tell them to hem the edges. They will.fold it over so you won't cut yourself or the birds. You can get any color you want. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by