NEED HELP WITH A PECKER.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bertio, May 3, 2009.

1. bertio

bertio Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    I have a few 6 - 7 wk old white leghorns and other chicks. One, only one of the young Leghorns is pecking at everyone's beaks.Nothing else, just the beaks.
    Someone enlighten me please. Is this going to be a problem?
    What's this all about?
    Thanks.

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    it might develop into a bigger problem. i would just watch that one carefully. if he starts getting more aggressive, you might want to give him some peepers (they're like blinders for chickens)

3. bertio

Oct 17, 2008
    Thanks, Peepers for chickens. Ok, I guess that I should get her a little white cane to go with the blinders. Looks like this one's a goner. She'll never be able to get to the water and food. She does have a very pointy beak though. I'll trim a bit off the tip. Just to make sure that she doesn't damage the rest of the kids. [​IMG]

4. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    lol they can find their food and water just fine with the blinders. mine seem to like shiny rings, it kinda scared one of my friends today. we were sitting on the lawn watching the babies and my already-mean-little-roo snuck up and pecked her ring. she was like "AAHHH!" and he bolted back into the pen [​IMG]

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    hopefully shell grow out of it

6. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    that's a really likely possibility. i had a mean one on hatch day that was never mean again afterward. just keep a good eye on them. peepers are a last resort. (for me anyway)

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    it's a natural chick behaviour, they peck on the hen's beak to get food.

8. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:didn't know that! you learn something new every day. [​IMG] thanks fr posting!

9. bertio

Oct 17, 2008
    Ok, I saw the peepers. It wasn't a newbie thing after all. Like, find me a sky-hook. Makes sense that they peck at their mothers beak for food.
    Thanks for the repies. I'll get on the peeper thing. How to attach, since they have no ears?
    [​IMG]

10. pafarmgirl

pafarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Poconos
    I had a lot of trouble with my crested polish when they were young. I kept having to separate them from the flock because their heads got pecked so badly, and they would just stand there because they dont see at all well with all those feathers in their faces. It slowed down and then one day I finally realized it had stopped. They get into alot when theyre young!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by