Need help with a possibly sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bekalynn, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Bekalynn

Bekalynn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    Mountains in california
    The last two days we have had a heatwave where I live. Temps around 106-111 degrees. Chickens have had plenty of shade and water, but yesterday I went out and found one of my hens not looking good. She is panting and her comb is a dark color. I have removed her from the pen incase she is contagious. Any idea what can be wrong with her and what can I do about it. Any home remedies??

2. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
    Gosh, that's hot - I don't have any ideas for your chicken - but do for the heat: you can put out misters (I got an Arctic Cove item at HD for about $12), and freeze water in bottles to put in their coop/run/hangout place for them to sit next to, to cool down. Panting is pretty normal in the heat, if it is light panting - mine are doing that in the shade now in about 90-degree weather.

Good luck!

3. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Do this!

And, get a box fan to move the air around; 110 degree temps in stagnant air will kill just about any animal. Hosing down the area where they hang out will also drop temps several degrees and help out for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by