1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help with a rescue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by groleau6, Mar 3, 2014.

1. groleau6

groleau6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    My family and I rescued these two little cuties, and plan on keeping them. I am just curious if anyone can help me identify the darker breed, and can maybe tell me how to sex them. I am guessing they are around 2 to 2 1/2 weeks old, but I could be wrong. Any help would be great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Look like a rouen and a pekin. Could only vent sex at that age .

Clint

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree with Clint on breed, before trying to vent sex be sure to get as much info as possible, since they can be injured if not done right. Sure are cute

4. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Adorable! I agree the darker one is a Rouen, and my guess would be that they are older than 2 weeks. Possibly 3-4. If that is so, then in a few weeks, you should be able to start telling the gender by their voices!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto

And on their behalf - thank you!

Welcome to Duckdom! Have you kept ducks before? There are helpful Stickies - the link is at the top of the Duck Forum.

6. groleau6

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    I haven't kept ducks before. Thank you for helping me identifying them. Older than 3 weeks? really? even with no feathers? hmm....I need to research better. When you said you could tell by their voices what did you mean?

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Girl ducks may start quacking or honking (my runners honked a bit at first) at about three weeks. Boys continue to peep a little longer, I think, and then develop a whaspy voice.

I am trying to remember - I think tail feathers came in first on my runners. Got any little stubs of tail feathers coming in?

Seems to me they size up really fast, and then feathers start coming in - they get really interesting looking. Here are mine at - I want to say six weeks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh how cute. Yes, Pekin and Rouen. Where did you find them? I hope they weren't dumped. We get people dumping ducklings that age at our lake, too. :(

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  10. groleau6

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    They were being returned to TSC but the lady didn't have their paperwork because she said her ex bought them for their kid and she didn't want them. The staff said they wouldn't take them back. She just up and left them in the parking lot. The mother inside me wouldn't stand for that so I took them home and put them in with my RIR chicks. I was a little worried about aggression issues (I have heard they can be finicky with chickens), but they are the sweetest things and all get along so well.
    Amiga your little ones are so cute. Were they outside full time at that age? They are starting to get a puff where their tales will be now and I see a few sprouts.
    I am looking forward to another new adventure. Thanks all for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by