Need Help with a Silly Goose

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
I have a lone gosling that hatched and she had a bumpy start to life with a hernia. She's still wobbly but she's significantly improved.

The issue I'm having is she will only eat out of my hand. I've tried everything. I tried putting my hand in the feed so she would associate it. I spread it on a towel, I put it in a cup, I don't know what else to try. When I offer her food in my hand she acts like she's starving so it's definitely not because she isn't hungry.
I've never had this happen before but I've also never had a gosling alone. Thoughts?

I have a lone gosling that hatched and she had a bumpy start to life with a hernia. She's still wobbly but she's significantly improved.

The issue I'm having is she will only eat out of my hand. I've tried everything. I tried putting my hand in the feed so she would associate it. I spread it on a towel, I put it in a cup, I don't know what else to try. When I offer her food in my hand she acts like she's starving so it's definitely not because she isn't hungry.
I've never had this happen before but I've also never had a gosling alone. Thoughts?
Try making soup with her feed by adding water, wiggle your fingers in it in front of her to encourage her to want to play with it too, it’ll teach her to eat with you “that’s what she might think you’re doing,”and then she’ll learn to feed herself.

First thing would be to get her a buddy or even two for her to learn from them.

She will actually be going to live with a friend of mine once I feel she's ready. Probably in the next day or two. She's still a bit wobbly from the rough hatch. I'm just kind of worried about sending her to another home not knowing if she will eat without hand feeding her.

Try making soup with her feed by adding water, wiggle your fingers in it in front of her to encourage her to want to play with it too, it’ll teach her to eat with you “that’s what she might think you’re doing,”and then she’ll learn to feed herself.

I do wet her food but I haven't made a soup with it. I'll give it a try! Thank you!

Picture, because she's adorable. lol

3-7-21 (5).JPG

Back
Top Bottom